Found two scuffs/Nicks on my new MBP 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by desmotesta, Nov 27, 2012.

1. desmotesta macrumors member

I recently got my "new" (refurbed) 17" MBP.

I received the Box last wednesay but did not open the box until Sunday morning when I returned from a holiday trip.

It wasn't a surprise to me that I fell in love with it after just a few minutes of use.

First thing I wanted to do was to protect it, so I started looking for covers/sleeves and Skin options.

While giving a close once-over to the laptop, I found two scuffs/nicks on the top outer body (one to the left and one to the right of the apple logo).

The scuff is the size of a grain of rice and the nicks are even smaller (they look bigger in picture)

Although I did call Apple and have an appointment at the local store, I am wondering if I am being too picky.

I knew that this was a refurbished item but i did not expect it to look used in any way.

Should I just live with them?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The local store can't do anything about your refurb. They won't exchange it, as refurbs are only available online. Any refurb may show cosmetic signs of use, so even if Apple exchanges it, you may get a replacement that has flaws, as well. As it doesn't affect functionality, isn't noticeable unless you're looking for it, and will likely show additional signs of wear over time, I wouldn't worry about it.

3. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Refurbished typically means used previously. I know with Apple most of the time it's new in a brown box, but you're being too picky. If you bought it actually new, then I would complain.

4. desmotesta thread starter macrumors member

I understand your point and thats why I called Apple to confirm IF slight evidence of "use is to be expected. Apple support person claimed that the refurbished item should be "like new" with NO evidence of previous use.

I still conflicted, bigger part of me wants to this one

5. switon macrumors 6502a

RE: Ah, aren't they great!

Hi desmotesta,

Aren't refurbished units great! You get a perfectly working 17" MBP (17" no longer sold new) along with full warranty, plus they throw in the scratches for free! Thus you can just enjoy the machine without having to futz about that "first scratch" the way all those who bought a new MBP have to worry. So much better that way.

Regards,
    Switon

P.S. Personally, I'm always happy to get that "first scratch" out of the way, then I can just "use" the machine without worrying all the time.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is false. The Apple support person is wrong.

Apple refurbished products are considered by most to be a very good deal, as they're pretty much like buying a new Mac, except for the box.
    • Apple Certified Refurbished Products are available online from the Apple Refurb Store and are not sold in local Apple stores
    • Educational discounts do not apply to refurb products.
    • Refurb products come with the same warranty as new products, and qualify for AppleCare
    • Refurb products have a changed serial number that identifies them as refurbished
    • Refurb products come with whatever OS version and software they originally shipped with as new
    • Refurb products come with the same items in the box as new products, only the box is a plain one, not the new box.
    • A refurb product could have some cosmetic signs of prior use, but rarely do
    • A refurb Mac may have some cycles on the battery, but not a significant enough amount to affect usable life
    • The refurb store inventory changes frequently, sometimes several times a day, and doesn't have any direct relation to upcoming product releases. What's available in the refurb store is determined by what has been returned to Apple.
    • If you're looking for a particular item, refurb.me can alert you when it becomes available.

7. Mdwall macrumors member

If you're going to cover it up with a skin does the scuff really matter?
    You could return it and possibly get an undamaged unit which is obviously a possibility but it could also have other damage somewhere else so there is always a risk.
    I would say if you can live with them that you should just skin it and forget it.

8. trikky macrumors regular

As someone with two refurbs, yes...you're being too picky. :cool: If you wanted perfect, you could always pay several hundred dollars more to get a new one. Are the scratches worth that much? They're not to me.

Enjoy your new computer.

9. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

This is why I never buy anything "REFURB'D" I rather spend the little extra money and get something new and unused! There was this other forum where ppl were saying Apples reburb products are like new clearly that is not the case anymore! Anything you buy from Apple that is reburb will have these nicks and scratches on them...

10. desmotesta thread starter macrumors member

I have to agree with you.

I AM being too picky.

also, if paying several hundred more to get a new one was possible from apple store, I would have done it. Unfortunately Apple doesnt sell 17" MBP anymore.

----------

if paying several hundred more to get a new one was possible from apple store, I would have done it. Unfortunately Apple doesnt sell 17" MBP anymore.

----------

I was NOT aware of the above. Thank you

----------

The more I think about it, I HAVE to agree with you.

I take very good care of my stuff, All of my 4-6 year old Nikon Photo gear is still in like new condition. and yes, I would worry too much about that first scratch.

thank you all for your help