Found unannounced new feature in iOS6.1

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Prime85, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

Now when plugged into my car radio i can control my songs with both the iphone and the head unit at the same time. On previous iOS versions i had to either be in ipod mode (can only control from the iPhone ) or hands free mode (control using the buttons on the head unit and on the iphone it would say iphone being used by an accessory so i couldnt change songs from there). Now i can keep it on hands free mode and use either the iphone or the head unit to control the songs.

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

There are already numerous threads pointing it out...and yes, it's a great and welcome addition (I just wish my iPod Classic had thi feature- such a pain scrolling through 60GB of music with radio dials).

3. gSOLO macrumors member

gSOLO

Hadn't heard about this, thanks. This is definitely a welcome change.

4. mac00l macrumors 6502

YES!!!! I realized about it just a few hours ago.

The only draw back is that before my car stereo only recognized songs in the iPhone, now it recognize my whole itunes match catalogue, even if catalogue is set to be disabled while on 3g - lte.

I have this habit of listening to an album at a time. So I download it at home and listen to it all day long.

My car has BT audio, but it is horrible when compared to USB connection. Ain't no audophile but I do enjoy some degree of quality in my music. Therefore I go USB, and before only that album was in my car stereo menu, it was plain simple to play it trough my steer's controls. Now I have to surf trough hundreds of artists and albums.

All in all, I do prefer the way it is now. It was such a pain to be only capable of using my car's stereo to browse for music.

5. iphnhelp macrumors regular

Yeah just want to say how awesome this is. These are the kinds of changes that make me love software updates.

Wonder if this just bugged someone at Apple so they had it changed quietly... because there are tons of other annoyances that they haven't changed. Must not be an issue for the people who can make the changes.

6. i84CTBound macrumors newbie

Not a new feature. This has been possible since about 5.1. I plugged my iPhone 4S into my car stereo and I control the songs either with my iphone or the controls in the stereo set. Even my remote for my car stereo worked for controlling music.

7. Prime85 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Prime85

Yes you have been able to control with either but until 6.1 you had to switch between "hands free mode" or "ipod mode", now after 6.1 you can control both ways from "hands free mode"

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

See now. This is why I will never buy a car with USB or Bluetooth . You won't be able to update to the latest version. My car has an audio in jack and I can control everything using Siri.

9. cschmelz macrumors 6502

Huh?!?

10. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

11. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

Thanks! I didn't know that one. And to be honest, it's the only thing (I know of) in 6.1 that I'm interested in. I was going to update earlier in the week, but didn't have the space. Guess I'll find the space tonight! :D

12. lmedinas macrumors newbie

Not sure if this is a good idea, can you imagine you driving the car and your kid changing the songs ? :confused:

13. Daytona 360 macrumors member

Not like they won't be able to do this with the vehicle's audio control already.