Four _spotlight processors

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Filuren, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Filuren macrumors newbie

Hello MacRumors,

I found something very odd going on on my MacBook Air, and wanted to check Activity Monitor. When I looked it up, I saw I had 0% of my CPU left, 4 _spotlight processors going and some crazy fans (6500RPM).

What is going on? How come all of a sudden they go crazy, uses so much CPU power? I don't really know what to include, as I am not doing anything really, was just watching a show on my laptop and they suddenly went crazy.
    A reboot did not do anything.

A quick picture I took so you can see how it looks.

2. Tokay macrumors newbie

This is normal.

It will happen after first boot up, after installing new software, or copying large amounts of files to the machine.

Don't worry. :)

3. KPOM macrumors G5

When you first run OS X, it indexes the files on it so that Spotlight can quickly find them later. Don't worry, since once it's done it just needs to update changes. Also, since you have 4 virtual cores in your CPU, it isn't "filled up" until it hits 400%.

4. Filuren thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not first boot up, neither have I installed anything.
    I haven't really done anything today, I was just watching a show on MBA, with the VLC player and suddenly the 4 _spotlight showed up.

I know Time Machine, installing, copying etc. can make the processor go crazy, I just have never witnessed 4! _spotlight processors, only I single one, that's what was making me worried.