Four external monitors

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zappee, Apr 11, 2015.

1. zappee macrumors newbie

Is there anyway to get any MBP to power four external monitors?

Iv'e seen external boxes like Matrox but seems to only be three monitors.

2. JoeFkling macrumors regular

some of the MBP will do 3 external monitors with the macbook closed. You can go beyond that with a USB to VGA/DVI adapter but support is limited and usually slow.

3. zappee thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I've noticed that and want to avoid USB adapters

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

If you're willing to go with an external graphics card, I'd say you could probably do it.
    Other than that, to my knowledge, three externals in addition to the built-in is the maximum.

But then, why not just get two 4K monitors, actually giving you more real estate than four lower resolution ones (assuming four times 2560 x 1440)?

5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

If you got Displayport 1.2 capable monitors you should be able to put two in series on each port of the MBP. You can daisy chain displayport 1.2.
    But the overall pixel count musn't be too high. Those aren't desktop GPUs so keep to 1080p or something. If you tried four 2560x1440 displays you might need to lower the hz a bit.

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

- You can, theoretically. But do you know of anyone who has actually gotten this to work? All the reports I see can only get the daisy chained displays mirrored, which isn't of much use.

7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

You are apparently correct. Seems to be the same as some higher resolution like 4k support. The hardware can do it and it works in Windows but OSX cannot. According to what I read OSX refuses to support multiple displays on one DP, which is really sad. Took some time to read as many people obviously tried it on older hardware that didn't have DP 1.2. Apple probably wants only their own overpriced hardware to have such a feature.

8. zappee thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think the new rMBP will be able to run four external monitors?

9. cookies! macrumors 6502

What's the point of Skylake's 4K support then if we can't even get two monitors over DP 1.2? :/