Four finger swipe.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by you-of-eh, Oct 27, 2010.

1. you-of-eh macrumors member

So when you swipe four fingers horizontally on the trackpad, it shows the applications that are running. If the application is running but the window is minimized it still shows up, but why? If I click on a application that is minimized nothing happens, just the little task bar for the application appears at the top of the screen. So what's the point of showing those applications that are running but minimized when you swipe if they don't even pop up on your screen?

2. Accel Junky macrumors newbie

No kidding I just logged on to look for an answer to this. Seems so simple that it could pop the window up if it is minimized. Surely there is a setting for this...

3. Resist macrumors 68030

True they won't pop up if minimized, but they will pop up if in the background. Seems easier to do a four finger swipe down to see what you have, than a four finger swipe across.

4. highr0lla macrumors newbie

It works for me. I'm not sure if this is your problem buy you need to actually click on the icon for it to take you to that screen.

5. you-of-eh thread starter macrumors member

I can see the swipe across being useful if it brought up minimized windows. I just don't see the point in even displaying running apps that are minimized when you swipe. Like Accel Junky I figured there would be a setting somewhere that I could change but I don't see any.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It does this because the app switcher has no idea how many windows you have opened up; it switches to the application, but does not have control over the minimized windows. Say you're running Safari with 6 windows and 4 are minimized intentionally. You wouldn't want the 4 minimized windows to open up too when you select the application to view the other 2 windows.

7. you-of-eh thread starter macrumors member

Ahhhhhhhhh okay I get it. Thanks alphod. I think every app should have tabs like an internet browser so there's no need for more than one window per app.

8. Resist macrumors 68030

No it doesn't. The OP was talking about minimized windows not showing up.

9. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Fast way to quit an app. You can quickly switch to that app and then hit COMMAND + Q to quit the app. You can also use it just to see which apps are running for your own FYI. This can come in handy if you're about to do an intensive task, like transcode a ripped DVD or something - free up the CPU by closing open apps that you're not using.

If you'd like to switch to an app and open one of its minimized windows on switch over, swipe 4 fingers down for Expose - your minimized windows will be at the bottom, click the one you want.