Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goldenswo140

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
With Apple releasing two separate iPhone models this year do you think its possible we see an introduction of two additional models next year ? This way Apple has a chance to appeal to all corners of the market (besides the nokia 520/Moto G market)

iPhone 5C - .99
iPhone 5S - $99
iPhone 6 - $199
iPhone 6L? - $299 - 5 Inch Screen

I would love to see a larger screened iPhone but still believe that the four inch screen should stay as well. The iPhone 6 and 6L sharing the same features except the larger screen and the higher price ( possibly having the 6L with 32GB of storage ). The only way i see this happening is if you increase the resolution of both iPhones to at least 1080p, then you could make a larger phone and still keep "retina".

On another note my wish list for the iPhone 6/6L would be - Wireless Charging, A8 (with focus on battery life not power), iPad like design, Notification light, Sapphire crystal display ( maybe in 2-3 years ).

g.t. rags

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
Long Island
if i have learned anything in the last 10 years of being an apple junkie, it's to never try to predict what apple is going to do next year

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
It's correct to not predict what Apple is going to do ...BUT...it is clear there are 3 smartphone markets to satisfy.

The markets are
4 - 4.3"
5"
5.5"+

Agree or disagree but these are the markets that are holding there ground now. Samsung is doing it, HTC is doing it, Microsoft\Nokia is now doing, each of these have 3 of the same(for the most part) of the same phone.

Apple will have to comply eventually If they want any parts of these markets.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I think it's pushing it; Apple typically tries not to release too many products and indeed the 5c doesn't seem to be selling as well as expected so Apple may be a little "scared off" by that.

This seems relevant:

extrapolating.png

Goldenswo140

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
I think it's pushing it; Apple typically tries not to release too many products and indeed the 5c doesn't seem to be selling as well as expected so Apple may be a little "scared off" by that.

Apple did not take the correct direction when they introduced a second iPhone model. Instead of appealing to a new market all they did was replicate the same strategy they have applied every year with offering the iPhone at all pricing options (which they would of done with the iPhone 5 anyway). What Apple previously did was have three models with the previous generation taking a price cut. Which is something they could of continued but did not...

With the introduction of a bigger iPhone you are adding features and creating a chance to expand your market share, unlike what they tried to do with a cheaper iPhone. You are appealing to people who want a bigger screen which is one of the biggest complaints of the iPhone. No one wanted a cheaper iPhone because that option was already available (last year - 4 .99 4S $99 5 $199)

Im sure if they introduced the iPhone 5 for $99 the sales would be similar. Looking at the sales of the Note 3 and larger phones apple would be stupid not to join in the Phablet revolution. Apples greatest success is the high end market and thats where they should grow.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
The extreme risk of adding a Phablet class iPhone to Apples lineup would be a very significant additional amount of revenue. Already über wealthy Apples sure to be worried sick over what to do with all the extra cash :)

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
If they're going to bring out a larger screen then they need to make damn sure that the SDK has some fancy up scaling tricks built in.

Deving for retina was annoying. Deving for 4" is a nightmare.

Nand

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
San Juan
Apple did not take the correct direction when they introduced a second iPhone model. Instead of appealing to a new market all they did was replicate the same strategy they have applied every year with offering the iPhone at all pricing options (which they would of done with the iPhone 5 anyway). What Apple previously did was have three models with the previous generation taking a price cut. Which is something they could of continued but did not...

With the introduction of a bigger iPhone you are adding features and creating a chance to expand your market share, unlike what they tried to do with a cheaper iPhone. You are appealing to people who want a bigger screen which is one of the biggest complaints of the iPhone. No one wanted a cheaper iPhone because that option was already available (last year - 4 .99 4S $99 5 $199)

Im sure if they introduced the iPhone 5 for $99 the sales would be similar. Looking at the sales of the Note 3 and larger phones apple would be stupid not to join in the Phablet revolution. Apples greatest success is the high end market and thats where they should grow.

Please provide the sales numbers for the note 3 and the phablet revolution.

Iphone sales grow 26%

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2013/10/28Apple-Reports-Fourth-Quarter-Results.html

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
4 iPhone models sounds confusing. they'll keep the 5C or have some similar equivalent, have the 6, and then maybe 6-pro or whatever (the larger screen).

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
With Apple releasing two separate iPhone models this year do you think its possible we see an introduction of two additional models next year ? This way Apple has a chance to appeal to all corners of the market (besides the nokia 520/Moto G market)

iPhone 5C - .99
iPhone 5S - $99
iPhone 6 - $199
iPhone 6L? - $299 - 5 Inch Screen

This doesn't make much sense. Just as they discontinued the iPhone 5 this year, they'll most likely discontinue the 5s next year as the iPhone 6c will take its place.

So it's either the 5s (if they discontinue the 5c) or the 6c that's a step down from iPhone 6.

Last edited:

johnny2435

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
I personally don't think they will have a 6L. I think what will happen is that it still be like this:
Pricing scale:
1st Gen 5C .99 (OR they could make it a 2nd gen, I don't think they'll discontinue this anytime soon)
iPhone 5S 99.
iPhone 6 199.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Looking at the sales of the Note 3 and larger phones apple would be stupid not to join in the Phablet revolution. Apples greatest success is the high end market and thats where they should grow.

Yeah, clearly their strategy is wrong, if it was right they'd be selling the 5s as fast as they can make it and there'd be a wait to buy one. Oh wait...

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
Not 4, I doubt that.

Maybe they'll do a 1 then 2 release schedule? i6 next year, 6c & 6s the year after?

On the other hand, if they decide to run 2 screen sizes simultaneously, they'll kind of have to release 2 a year. At that point, I think numbering the phones will fly out the window, and we'll just see a type of "pro/am" releasing, rather than #/s like we have now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.