Four Months in the Falklands

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by WhiteKnightMac, Jul 9, 2017.

1. WhiteKnightMac macrumors newbie

WhiteKnightMac

I'm heading out to the Falkland Islands for four months early next year with the RAF and would like some good suggestions for games to take with me for the downtime.

My laptop isn't particularly powerful (MacBook Air Mid 2011)

The internet connection out there is nonexistent so MMO's and anything requiring being constantly connected is out of the question.

I have a Steam account (native and Wine):
    • Final Fantasy III
    • Civ III
    Another other great suggestions to help the time pass?

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

You been before? There's a very subsidised bar! Two of the guys from work go out there to support the photographic department.

As for games I've not turned my console on in months, so I'm probably not the best to advise!

3. WhiteKnightMac thread starter macrumors newbie

WhiteKnightMac

Yeah went out four years ago, just going back for another tour.

Actually looking forward to it.

4. sanmarcos macrumors newbie

Maybe bring Age of Empires II or Civilization, you can practice some colonialism virtually as well.

5. darksithpro macrumors regular

Fallout 4 would be a a lot of fun and take a long time to beat, but I'm not sure your mac-book could handle it.

6. SoggyCheese macrumors regular

SoggyCheese

Maybe UK, Maybe Spain, maybe even elsewhere
    Can't beat the Lego games IMO. Star Wars, Marvel heroes, that sort of thing. They play OK on my 2010 iMac, so your laptop should be able to handle them.

I'm amazed you mention Civ 3 though. Wasn't that a PowerPC game on the Mac, or did they make it Intel compatible too?

BTW, on a completely unrelated note, are the islands in a state where you can wander these days, or is there still the risk of stepping on something quite a bit nastier than animal poo? I hear the wildlife there is fantastic, but I've always been put off going by the thought of what the invasion left behind.

7. Diving Capers macrumors regular

Diving Capers

If possible I'd take:

PS4 + Uncharted collection + Uncharted 4 + the last of us + fallout 4 + the witcher 3 + metal gear solid the phantom pain

8. kiwipeso1 Suspended

kiwipeso1

Civ 4, Colonisation, GTA 3, GTA VC, GTA SA will all run on the MBA 2011.

9. danmart macrumors 6502

danmart

Do you like CRPGs? Tides of Numenera and Pillars of Eternity are both huge if you machine will run them.

Or how about some awesome retro goodness like Ultima 7? A true classic and also epically huge. If they aren't available from Steam then they are available from GOG.com

10. Osty macrumors 6502a

Well played! I found that funny and I'm British.

11. zen macrumors 68000

zen

12. Attonine macrumors 6502a

Friend if my brother in law has just come back from a 1 yr contract there working in healthcare. Think it was the RAF that got him there? Anyway, in the UK he lives on the, how can I put it........darker side of life. He seems to have had a great time, took up dancing of all things. I think he regrets not taking the offer of contract extension.

As for games, I suppose that really depends on what kind of games you like. I'd probably take a PS4 and a whole bunch of action games, the lego games, never got on with fallout 4 but I'd probably take it to see if I could finally crack it, the same with GTA.

Mid 2011 MBA, I just wouldn't bother with any games for that. PS4 can be got for cheap nowadays, loads of second hand ones around.

13. WhiteKnightMac thread starter macrumors newbie

WhiteKnightMac

Would love to play this but you're right, my poor little MacBook would melt! (assuming I can even boot the game)

Civ III is a Windows only game through Steam (I'm using Wine to run it on the Mac)

And yeah, there are still areas that are a bit out of bounds for your own safety, mines are always being washed up on shore still.

14. Retromac2008 macrumors regular

Retromac2008