Four returns. I'm running out of fingers.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by fivedots, Jul 14, 2011.

1. fivedots, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

fivedots macrumors 6502a

So, impulse bought a refurb 2010 i7 iMac last week, my first Apple aside from my iPhone. Received it, and it has pretty bad screen yellowing on the bottom third. So, called in a return and ended up ordering a 2011 i7 refurb. Received it today, and well, not impressed. Colour temperature across the display is not consistent, shadow bar above the dock all the way across the screen, and while it's sitting right next to the 2010, it is not nearly as bright or vibrant. Just looks muddy. And yes, I notice these things on both machines without staring at test bars. It would drive me nuts in day-to-day use. May as well light a stack of bills on fire in front of me.

Running out of time and energy to deal with this. I would buy it in-store, if only Apple would cough up the $300 difference for the 2011 i7.

I've thrown some pics up, hard to photograph in any useful fashion.

Sorry, some of the images are upside down. Ignore the red/greenish hues, that's just the iPhone camera talking.

Beginning to think this was the wrong decision, even though I enjoy using it.

Attached Files:

2. timtom33 macrumors member

Similar story to me, i gave up in the end. Chances are you won't feel better about this with time, you will just try to brain wash yourself instead that its all ok. For me It was a nice machine and enjoyed using it, but for the money, and the fact i have owned lots of screens and NEVER seen anything as bad as the iMac in terms of yellow, weird grey bars, and non uniform colour across the panel, i slung that thing in the back of a UPS van and got my money back. I weighed it all up and the cash was more important than a half baked computer that i wasn't 100% happy with. Same story with my iPad 2, £550 for a screen with yellow screen bleed all around the egde, no thanks. These devices are in the complete 'luxury' bracket, sorry but my definition of a luxury item is that its damn built to perfection, otherwise i'll go buy a Dell (in fact all my Dell screens have been flawless)... Remember, these things are made in a sweat shop in China where the factory workers are committing suicide (14 deaths the last time i heard in Aug 2010)...

3. fivedots thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, not sure what the next step is. Going to return both this weekend. Thinking I may just opt to buy an i5 (since I will be losing the price benefits of the refurb) at the Apple store, at least that way I don't have to wait for shipping, etc. and can return it right away.

I'd take a guess that the refurb machines I've received were returned for the very issues I'm having with them.

4. CHSeifert, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

Advice :

Don't buy iMac machines refurbed as chances are you get one, which has been returned because of screen issues, are big !!!

5. fivedots thread starter macrumors 6502a

And where were you 3 weeks ago?! :D

Definitely tried to shake my concerns about buying a refurb, but this has been such a letdown that I would not do it again.

6. macgenius1 macrumors newbie

New flash - Apple don't care. They sell cheap as possible OME stuff inside a shiny case... They don't want their stuff to last nor do they want you to upgrade. They know about these problems and do nothing, they play the numbers game, e.g. lets see how many people actually notice and then we will replace and sell them as refurbs. They even have the nerve to sell you Apple care, when every single component bought separately from the manufacture will give you at least a 3 year, sometimes longer, warranty. All they want is you to keep buying the next model. Its getting stupid now. Computers don't live forever, but they are not disposable items you should be replacing frequently.

7. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Refurbs are generally ok as they have been inspected. Seems your eyes are better than the tech guys checking it over.

Its unfortunate that you have two bad iMacs but keep the faith. There is an iMac out there for you.

Oh and don't listen to the guy above me. Ridiculous hate towards apple :rolleyes:

8. fivedots thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apparently. I wish I could say that I was staring at test bars and looking for problems, but it's obvious in day-to-day use, especially if you've ever seen an iMac without the issues.

Not sure I have the patience to try yet another refurb.

And yes, ignored. :)

9. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

Just received my 2011 3.1 Core i5 today- yellow tint for the bottom 40% of the screen. Starting the return process...

10. MrT-Man macrumors regular

I'm awaiting iMac #2 / screen #3 (they replaced the panel in my first iMac and the new one was also yellow).

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. On the one hand it's completely ridiculous that they're shipping computers with this problem, two years into this iMac generation. On the other hand I have to commend them for their customer support. The phone support people sounded like Steve Jobs was standing over their shoulder while they were talking to me -- very eager to help, and providing me their direct email & phone extension so that I can talk to the same person if I have followup questions etc. Certainly the best support I've ever experienced from a tech company.

11. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

Same here. Just started my repair process today. Apple has THE BEST tech support. Really- they're great. I almost don't even care that I have to go through it- since they make everything so simple. I have my MBA that I use daily, so I can wait until my iMac is right. If I didn't have a computer tho, this would be a whole nother story. iMacs should not be having these issues.

12. younker macrumors member

younker

My iMac 27 2011 has the same issue, but the screen has no dead pixels at all, I am struggling whether I should I return for a new one?

13. Texran macrumors regular

I don't have a screen problem but I'm wondering, is the yellow noticeable in day to day use, or must you stare at gray bars to see it.

14. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

since late 2009 the iMac has a yellow tint and gets smudges inside the actual ips panel after couple weeks/month , everybody on earth knows that , so whats the problem , Apple sells them in millions so the majority has voted to like it yellowish on the bottom and fancy smudges , so there is no need to solve a problem that does not exist for the majority ,if Apple would be clever they would just declare it as a new feature and the problem is solved

15. Category 5 macrumors member

Got a refurb that had bad flashlighting in lower right corner

Returned for a NEW imac at Apple with a VERY yellow screen. About 35% bottom right went horribly yellow

Got a replacement with no yellowing but a gray bar along the bottom of the screen. Was planning to keep it before I noticed a dead pixel as well

Got a replacement with even yellowing that was correctable by calibration (tint was pretty uniform across whole screen). After calibration screen is very white but this one has a very pronounced gray bar across the bottom of the screen

I am tired of carting these back to the store and just want to get on with my work. The one with the dead pixel would have been acceptable if not for the pixel. That one was assembled in USA. All the others were assembled in China. Not sure if that means anything.

Not sure there is a perfect iMac out there. At least not without at least 10 returns. People who say theirs is flawless probably aren't as sensitive as others. I did find defects on most of the display models I looked at as well.

The Apple store kids are starting to think I'm nuts. Maybe they're right...?

16. coolbass macrumors newbie

I can't see anything wrong with these .

I think most of you quys are crazy.

17. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

We're not crazy, just picky. We have every right to be considering Apple's high prices and their claim to be the best in the industry..

18. John T macrumors 68020

John T

When I first saw the pics I got the same impression. When does anyone spend time looking at a blank screen? Are the"faults" noticeable in normal use? Has anyone checked the colour profile?

I'm willing to bet that 99.9% of people who own iMacs and haven't read the "colour cast" threads on forums such as this are happily using their machines without a care in the world! ;)

19. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

One of the loudest assertions from crazy people is that they are not crazy - just not understood.

Our two new iMac screens stack up impressively to our high end NEC 30" - and that screen alone was over $2200.

Photo and HD video editing are my primary use - can not think of a single time where a print had to be redone due to screen caused localized edits being unwarranted.

Are there some bad screens out there - certainly. Are there some unreasonable "perfectionists" out there - certainly - probably far more than there are bad screens.

20. srf4real, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

That sucks for the OP and others, and as a photographer myself I would not be satisfied even if I was able to deal/ adjust. On the other hand, it's quite obvious that Apple has fooled many into expecting a 30" ACD out of the 27" iMac and it's just plain silly to think that the two would be in the same class considering the total price of an iMac. Most professionals wouldn't even consider an ips that is not matte finish, good looks or not. Compromises had to be made.

Here is your pro monitor that you expected, now go find yourself a decent computer for $300 and hook it up!:p

On a side note, if you are going to give up on the iMac I reccomend you get a Sandy Bridge mini and one or two of these. I use and love them, perfect corner to corner color accuracy and cheap. Unless you must have a glossy screen.;)

21. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I'm pondering this option for myself..... Thanks for the link!

22. fivedots, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

fivedots thread starter macrumors 6502a

Day-to-day use. Could care less about test bars, personally. I do care about half this forum being grey and the other being yellow-green. Test bars were just the best way to even attempt to photograph it.

Very difficult (read: impossible) to photograph this accurately. Trust me, I do not have the time nor energy to be a perfectionist. You'd notice it if you were here.

I wish I could say I was being picky. Friends and family far less tech-literate and picky than I have noticed all issues unprompted. Just a simple, "Hey. Use this." quickly becomes "So why is it yellow?"

In my case a blank screen has nothing to do with it. Use iTunes, Finder, Safari, etc. and you see it. Color profile also has nothing to do with it. Can't fix localized issues with a global adjustment.

Photos on the bottom half of the screen do appear warmer in my case, such as when using a grid view of thumbnails. That said, I wish I could get past the discoloration of the Mac OS X interface and actually process some photos!

And the saga continues. To recap my iMac path:

1) 2010 27" i5 Refurb. Loud hard drive, severe yellow tint on bottom half of the screen. Returned.

2) 2011 27" i7 Refurb. Loud hard drive (thought these two were loud, and completely silent new unit confirms it), distracting dark shadow bar across the screen, overall inconsistent color and lighting.

3) 2011 27" i7 Brand New. Gave up on the online route after realizing the i7 models were stocked in my local store. Didn't even get out of the store with this one. Hard such a prominent grey bar on every screen that I could see it from across the store. Sales staff admitted they would not even buy, despite head genius trying to convince me it was okay. The genius even dared to suggest that I wouldn't be doing much work near the bottom of the screen anyways. I reminded him of all the handy new fullscreen features of Lion.

4) 2011 27" i7 Brand New. Ended up leaving the store with this one as the grey bar was much less noticeable and definitely acceptable. Upon setting it up at home, it immediately became apparent that there is yellowing on this screen. I'm not talking test bars, etc. Just using this forum, Finder, iTunes, heck, having one grey window in the top-left corner and one in the bottom-right corner exposes it very obviously. As I type this post, the bottom of the page is greenish-yellow, the top a nice neutral grey.

Throughout the process I've had contact with a case manager who could do very little other than offer me $125 off an online order or a equivalent gift from the online store if I chose to buy in-store. As much as that is appreciated, at this point I just want a satisfactory computer.

I am not looking for perfect by any means. I know there's limitations, tolerances, etc. to everything. If I wanted a pro monitor, I'd buy one. What I'd like at the very least is a monitor that could achieve the color consistency of a $150 Samsung.

It's a shame. I really love using the machine. It's the nicest, most productive beast I've ever worked with. Love the 27", the trackpad, and even Lion. But I'm convinced Apple can't build this machine to a reasonable standard and am heavily considering walking away from it altogether. It's been over a month since I (on an impulse) decided to purchase my first Apple computer and it has been nothing short of hassle since. I'm out of time and patience.