MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

A new report today from The Korea Times claims that Apple is preparing to launch the fourth-generation iPhone, with sources claiming that it could debut as early as April. The assertions apparently come from an executive of KT, the exclusive iPhone carrier in South Korea, who claims that the new iPhone will launch to large Korean corporate clients in April, with release to the general public occurring in June. Such a move would be odd for Apple, which has relied on the publicity and excitement of its iPhone launch events, a tactic that would be undermined by early availability of the handset to a limited customer base.

The executive also offered claims of an OLED screen and video chat capability for the next-generation iPhone, as well as a claim of a "highly likely" removable battery that would also be a surprising move from the company that has utilized a non-removable battery since the original iPhone and has transitioned to similar setups for its notebook computers.
They said the coming 4G iPhones will be equipped with organic light emitting diode (OLED) screens on surface and live video chat functionalities, while removable battery is highly likely.

The new 4G iPhone is also going to be loaded with dual core processors and higher and powerful graphic chips that can deliver higher video resolutions and better "still" images when taking pictures.
The report claims that Apple is planning for a relatively early introduction of the new iPhone compared to previous June or July launches in order to counter the stream of Android-based smartphones expected from Google in the wake of its launch of the Nexus One.

Reached for comment, a spokesperson in Apple's South Korean unit did offer confirmation that the company is in discussions regarding launch timing for the new iPhone.
"With KT, we've been in talks with other telecom carriers to gauge the launching timing of 4G iPhones in South Korea. More tech-oriented features will be added to the models," a representative of Apple's South Korean office said.
Meanwhile, French magazine Challenges briefly reports [Google translation] that Apple is planning to launch the next-generation iPhone in May.
Apple will launch in early May 2010 a new version of its iPhone, it was learned from several mobile operators. . . . No information was leaked, however the characteristics of the new device.
An iPhone launch ahead of Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) would be something of a surprise, as Apple has consistently taken advantage of the conference to show off the forthcoming iPhone models and set the stage for their launches shortly after the conference. WWDC has been rumored to be set for June 28th through July 2nd based on the appearance of a generic "Corporate Event" listing on the Moscone Conference Center's event calendar, a placeholder tactic used in the past for Apple's conferences there. That listing has, however, now been removed from the Moscone Center's calendar.

Due to the rather surprising and questionable nature of these reports, we have collected them on Page 2 for discussion.

Article Link: Fourth-Generation iPhone: OLED Screen, Video Chat, 'Early' Launch?

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
This WOULD be surprising, but not unappreciated. Hopefully, the iPhone will finally be unlocked so people can go to T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint or whomever. Also, if it's unlocked, maybe even be able to go on Sprints 4G network. And if it does get an OLED screen, that means no more backlight. No backlight means extra space for either thinner iPhones (which I know a lot of people want) or maybe more storage (maybe up to the iPod Touch's, which some people would want, too). I don't know. Guess we'll see.

Also, aren't there rumors that say if Apple does release the tablet, & it runs a version of the iPhone OS, it'll be version 4.0? Maybe Apple will release version 4 & the new iPhone at the same time. I don't know, so please don't flame me. Just thinking out loud.

Comment

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Moderately excited

I am slightly more excited about the phone than the tablet. FM radio, perhaps?

For improved battery life, I would happily ditch my 3G.

My only fear is that jailbreaking will be difficult. I don't think that Apple can change so much to give us all the extra features that makes jailbreaking worthwhile.

Comment

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
As long as the screen performs well in different lighting conditions then OLED is a good step forward. Early launch makes sense given the arrival of more heavily specced contenders, but let's hope early doesn't translate into rushed.

Comment

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
With the competition hotting up and in some cases overtaking the iPhone, I think it would be prudent for Apple to consider more frequent updates. Cameras and processors could be updated as they become available.

Comment

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
April Fools

"April Launch"

April 1st maybe? on Apples birthday? or maybe I'm "fooling" myself much like the article :rolleyes:

Once we see what the iPhone 4.0 software will have then will have a better understanding on all this.

iDisk

:apple:

Comment

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
As long as the screen performs well in different lighting conditions then OLED is a good step forward. Early launch makes sense given the arrival of more heavily specced contenders, but let's hope early doesn't translate into rushed.

I also could see a SLIGHT possibility of Apple releasing the next gen iPhone earlier than usual, due to the increase of more serious competitors to the iPhone's throne. Even though it's behind in marketshare, the Android platform is making big advancements at a rapid pace, and by the time of the typical iPhone launch (June/July), there will be many very nice Android handsets on the market (look at how many have sprung up in the last few months or so). IF Apple is releasing it earlier, maybe it is to counteract some of this momentum Android is gaining?

Comment

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
OLED screen would be a big welcome. Thinner, allowing more space - maybe we can stack two memory chips on top like the iPod touch..?

Biggest improvements that would interest me are: higher quality camera with LED flash, dual-core CPU, better graphics chip and higher storage.

Comment

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland

I'm with you on this one. Zune HD photos in Engadget (to demonstrate the screen in bright light) were horrifying; I seriously hope Apple doesn't go OLED unless that problem is solved. After all, when you need to use your phone, you don't ask "what's the weather like" :p

Comment

b1wils1

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2006
SoCal
battery

there is no way they would release an iphone with removable battery. it doesn't fit with their sleek design model. they do need to ditch the plastic backing for the phones. i call fake on this rumor.

Comment

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
If Apple don't use WWDC to show off the new iPhone, it could be because they are using WWDC to show off something else. What else could it be…

John Gruber at daringfireball.net said:
I’ve heard that Mac OS X 10.7 is on pace for a developer release at WWDC in June

Comment

Ash3r100

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2010
London
Battery

I think the removable battery is highly unlikely, but would love to see greatly improved battery life and as someone else said, early better not be rushed!

Comment

anonymouz1828

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2009
WOW .. removable battery will be awesome but like many mentioned above it is unlikely apple will do it. I have wish for removable battery and early launch too. It seems the oled screen is more resistant to drop which it would be great.

Comment

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Removable battery? - I'll believe it when I see it.

As for an earlier than expected launch, I buy it. Apple can't have a yearly update policy now that they have some real competition from Droid/Nexus and, to a lesser extent, Pre. Competition is good.

Comment

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
WOW .. removable battery will be awesome but like many mentioned above it is unlikely apple will do it. I have wish for removable battery and early launch too. It seems the oled screen is more resistant to drop which it would be great.

It's not the LCD screen that breaks, but the glass they have covered it in. The OLED screen will most likely be covered with glass too.

Comment

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
As much as I'd like a removable battery, I doubt it for 2 reasons.

1) It would be a step backwards considering they just moved their entire laptop line to built-in batteries

2) It takes away from the clean, smooth surface. Having tdoor latch or whatever will be very un-Apple like.

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Haha, keep dreaming guys.

However, if hell did happen to freeze over, I'd take 3 extra removable batteries please.

Comment

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
No chance in hell. It will be a June/July launch just like every year. The specs of the phone might be accurate, but lets face it, the iPhone is more about the OS than anything else. That needs some major revamps to keep up with the android phones and their features... Widgets for example.

Comment

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
On my wish list:
• iChat AV with forward facing camera
• Flash on back in the Apple logo (which would subtly glow like a MacBook the rest of the time :D )
• More control over landscape rotation locking (app based)
• N-wireless chipset (Stop right there if you even have a glimmer of a thought about flaming me for wanting it for speed... I know that internet speeds are not as fast as the N standard. I don't want it for that!!! I DO want the N chip so that I can at least hop onto N "ONLY" networks. Our workplace has been set up like this for a couple years now and it is a royal PITA when needing to connect a G device for network usage.)

Comment

Lightbrazer

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2008
I wouldn't be suprised if it came out early for a few reasons.

1) the 3gs was more of an evolutionary release just to stay ahead of the then just released Pre. It had the same casing and almost everything inside was just the same as before but updated to the newest version. So things they may have wanted to release in that phone they've now had way more time than expected to work on and perfect so this years release is ready early.

2) more market competition is going to drive them to release something now or risk losing business to other devices.

3) if a tablet comes out and catches on which also uses the iPhone OS but is a much more powerful device then apps will start to split between the tablet and the phone. But if you update the phone to a multiprocessor one in line with the tablet release then you can have a more ubiquitous solution for people who may be looking to get both or people looking to skip one or the other but still have the ability to use all the apps.

4) kind of dubious but i wouldn't be suprised at all to learn they may have had some deal with At&t to release early this year to get as many people on contract with At&t before the exclusivity expires. Many people that use the early upgrade feature or other people coming to At&t will get locked in just before they could have gone to other providers.

Comment

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
It's funny that the "leaked" specs for the 4th generation iPhone happen to be identical to those of the mythical tablet.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.