Fox Censors 59th Emmy?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by illegalprelude, Sep 16, 2007.

1. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

2. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Free speech? It was aired on Fox, you know. Don't expect too much from them.

Anyway, I think that was an absolutely ridiculous thing for Fox to cut away from. It wasn't offensive in the slightest bit; it was just that their pro-war agenda clashed with her anti-war remark, so they censored it. Absolutely ridiculous.

I wish the Academy would never air the awards on Fox again. They should probably pick a network that has a better record with dissenting opinion and freedom.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

And with the freedom of speech comes the freedom of press.

4. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

She said f8ck, did she not? Thats certainly reason for censorship.

Oh and fox sucks boo vote colbert 08 george bush personally funds saddam hussain.

Oh and by the way, thats not sarcastic. I watch the re-poir every day and I'm democrat all the way, I'm just saying its silly how Fox news (while certainly biased) is no more biased to the right then those lefty stations are towards the flipside but since the internet is 98% Ron Paul supporters, we h8 f0x zomg.

EDIT-
    Whoa I didn't realize they bleeped "god" until I read the story off digg. Wow, that really is a little overboard.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

In the age of the hefty FCC fines I don't think networks want to take any chances.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

She did not.

She said, "god-damned wars in the first place" (all of which was censored).

7. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

You don't get a fine for saying god, I don't care if its the FCC or the NAZICC. Thats personal choice all the way.

8. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

1. She didn't say the "f" word.

2. There is no such thing as a "lefty" news network. Nice try. They are all beholden to corporate interests and profit; not delivering the news.

3. I hate Ron Paul and I hate Fox. I don't see the correlation between the two. Am I missing something? There are plenty of people who hate Fox outside of that nut-bag Ron Paul's supporters.

4. Rather than just bleep out the "god-damn" part of her speech and air the rest, they chose to just cut away from the whole thing. It isn't surprising considering Fox has been the biggest cheerleader for this war. Dissenting opinion on Fox? Never. It would have been perfectly fine and easy to just bleep the "curse" word (which isn't even offensive to begin with).

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Depends on who was in charge, I don't know how much say Fox has in the broadcast other then the rights to show it. The Academy owns the show.

10. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Holy crap, I can't believe how seriously off some people are.

I was kidding. I don't know if my otherwise solid grammar getting set off by internet slang and ron paul references wasn't enough to tip you off, but it should have been.

I'm aware. I amended my post before you posted, so I assume you had the quote window open before I did.

Hell yes there is, but thats what I watch. Fox affiliate stations are crap and I don't even get Fox News.

Again, sarcasm.

Oh and I see you edited your post to make it more logical. Nice try though :p

Seriously, its unreasonable that they would remove something like that just because Fox is pro war. Its not like this is a Fox-special event. The Emmys were on NBC last year if I recall, so its hardly their show to run.

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

12. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

The most bizarre award of the evening (for me) was the award given to Al Gore for Current TV. I vaguely hearing about this project a year or so ago when it was still on the drawing board, but I hadn't heard anything about it again until last night. It struck me as a pretty transparent excuse for Hollywood to fawn over Gore again. I mean, is anyone talking about Current TV?

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

To be honest, I didn't get your sarcasm either. You sound pretty serious yourself. Try using some of the emoticons we have here. It's helps get your point across. ;)

14. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i dont care if they are lefties or righties they shouldn’t bring up politics or war issues at an awards show, i dont understand why celebs think their opinions are any more important than anyone else’s

15. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I agree with that. I think celebs seem to have an inflated sense of self importance, put a microlphone in their face and they can't help themselves.

I don't want a lecture about US foreign policy from a rock star or actor.

16. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

There is a certain pomposity about celebrity speeches at awards shows that makes me disinclined to watch them.

I don't have a problem with them censoring celebs to avaoid turning the awards ceremony into a political event, though ever since the "wardrobe malfunction" the networks do seem to have itchy trigger fingers on the censor button.

17. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

If they want to censor "god-damned" then so be it, but to censor her anti-war statement is just...uncalled for. I'd sue if I were her.

18. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

Maybe they minored in Political Science and International Relations?
    hahaha

19. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

If you're on a network they can censor you as much as they please. If Sally Field wants to make an anti-war statement she can do it through a press release, but nobody can force a network to broadcast something they don't want to broadcast.

20. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Then if they don't want to air other people's opinions they shouldn't air the Emmy's or any other similar events. It's that simple. Nobody should have the right to block out someone's opinion under any circumstances. If your not going to tell the whole story, don't tell it.

Though I was slightly exaggerating about the "she should sue" part. :)

21. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

If Arn wanted to, he could censor us right now...we're on a "private" forum or sorts, and his rules are the rules. Whether you like it or not, lots of people have the right to squelch you. Fox News could censor their news as much as they see fit, until it resembled North Korean State TV, and it would be perfectly legal.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Just curious but has anyone made a big deal about this today in the mainstream media?

23. cazlar macrumors 6502

I was watching occasional bits of the Emmys, but it was very annoying when they kept cutting away. Coming from Australia, I'm not sure why swearing on TV is such a big deal in the US. Can't you all just get over it? (and "god-damned" does not count as swearing in the first place!)

24. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

Y'all realize this goes back to J.J.'s nipple slip, FCC 'network fines' and the subsequent death of 'free expression' in media and G.B.'s administration :rolleyes:

25. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

She has a right to say what she wants, but Fox also has a Constitutional right to freedom of the press. They can show whatever they want, whenever they want, so long as it complies with the FCC's indecency rules.