MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Fox Now app has removed support for the third-generation Apple TV, with the app now only compatible with fourth-generation and later models of Apple's set-top box.

fox-now-app.jpg

Existing installs of Fox Now on third-gen Apple TVs no longer work, and the app has been removed from home screens, preventing users on the older hardware from accessing Fox live and on-demand content like TV shows and sports.

First spotted by Appleosophy, the change follows a Fox Now announcement in May that it would no longer support the third-gen box from June 17. Similar moves to drop third-gen support have been made by other streaming apps this year, including YouTube and CBS All Access.

While native third-gen Apple TV support has dropped, the Fox Now app is still available on iPhone and iPad, which means anyone with one of these iOS devices can still AirPlay Fox Now content to their Apple TV for watching, albeit indirectly.

Article Link: Fox Now App No Longer Supports Third-Generation Apple TV

InGen

Contributor
Jun 22, 2020
I can understand companies no longer pushing updates to older software versions for older hardware but I don't see why it necessitates the complete removal of the software from said hardware. With the understanding from the customer that it is no longer supported and thus newer features would be absent, why are older software versions (that don't carry any known security vulnerabilities) not simply left installed but without updates on this older hardware.

The same goes for the removal of YouTube and other popularly used apps on previous models of Apple TV, to which I say Why? Why not keep a working product installed until a security vulnerability is discovered or until a TvOS update breaks it. How does Fox profit from a customer having to purchase a new Apple TV?

ururk

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
I can understand companies no longer pushing updates to older software versions for older hardware but I don't see why it necessitates the complete removal of the software from said hardware. With the understanding from the customer that it is no longer supported and thus newer features would be absent, why are older software versions (that don't carry any known security vulnerabilities) not simply left installed but without updates on this older hardware.

The same goes for the removal of YouTube and other popularly used apps on previous models of Apple TV, to which I say Why? Why not keep a working product installed until a security vulnerability is discovered or until a TvOS update breaks it. How does Fox profit from a customer having to purchase a new Apple TV?
It might not be as simple as leaving off newer features - an upgrade to an app might change what websites the applications connects to for content, or authorization protocols might have changed. There could be some underlying API's that they want to use that aren't available with older hardware (or TV OS).

And, if it changes enough that launching will result in a crash or broken content, their support lines will be inundated with calls from confused consumers.

As for being automatically removed from the home screen (if I'm understanding that correctly), then that's terrible and at a minimum it should display a message when you go to launch the app.

Deadeyeshark

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
England
Managed to phase out all of my 3rd gen Apple TV's and replace with current models. Also have a 2015 Shield TV which still continues to receive updates and support from NVIDIA.

NMBob

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
What up with all these acronyms, people use them like it's common knowledge, am I getting old? I'll start casually writing in runes here and there
As long as it's not in cursive. :) It's really annoying when sites like MR start spewing them out in an article without explaining the first occurrence like: "...TIL (Today I Learned)..."

Reactions: mjs916

nt5672

macrumors 68020
Jun 30, 2007
I am not in sync with all of these news apps that track everything anyway. Think I'll stick with browsers. These seem to be getting more secure every day.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Third Generation confused me so I googled it. It was shipped back in 2012 and only supported 1080p. Apple made a 4th generation that was pre-4K back in 2015. Finally Apple shipped an Apple TV 4K without calling it 5th generation back in 2017. Then we got the 2021 version of the Apple TV 4K that is slightly better than the 2017 version of it.

kiensoy

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2008
Third Generation confused me so I googled it. It was shipped back in 2012 and only supported 1080p. Apple made a 4th generation that was pre-4K back in 2015. Finally Apple shipped an Apple TV 4K without calling it 5th generation back in 2017. Then we got the 2021 version of the Apple TV 4K that is slightly better than the 2017 version of it.
And then we got the Apple TV app and then the Apple TV+ service.

kpeex

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
VBVA
Reactions: hooptyuber

genovelle

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
AppleTV 3 sure could have had a useful second life around here if it had gotten the AirPlay2 update like AirPort Express did.

9 years is a long time to support hardware.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2012
Same here. I got mine for free as part of a DirecTV NOW promo in January 2017. I guess it's a 4th gen model based on that time frame and lack of 4K.

Reactions: The1andOnly

zorinlynx

macrumors 604
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
So what is the twilight path for the AppleTV v3 -- I still see them on eBay but is this something you can recycle back to Apple?

(Added) Nevermind; answered my own question. No trade-in value, but you can recycle it via Apple: https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in
They're great for adding AirPlay support to a receiver via TOSlink. That's how I'm using mine; works great, don't even know where the remote is so good luck to me if I ever have to reconfigure it. :)

Reactions: mjs916
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.