Fox to require cable subscription or 8-day delay for watching programs on Hulu

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mkrishnan, Jul 27, 2011.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't think there's a thread on this one yet. Another salvo in the fight over streaming TV shows.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/27/business/media/fox-to-limit-next-day-streaming-on-hulu.html?hpw

At the end of the article, a notable point:

Which, I think, is fair, assuming that the spokeswoman's claim surrounding Hulu Plus turns out to be true.

2. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm all for paying for online content, as long as the pricing is reasonable. I don't think Hulu+ pricing is unreasonable, so as long as it doesn't get any Netflix kind of jacking-up, I'd support a move like that. In any event, I don't want to subscribe to cable ever again, if I can help it.

3. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

The networks need to figure it out. Cable and satellite are going by the wayside. They are grasping at straws here.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The $8 for Hulu+ beats paying $50+ per month for a bunch of channels I never watch. Even if the price went up to $16 I probably still wouldn't mind if I could watch the shows I want without delay.

5. norrismantooth macrumors regular

I knew there was a reason I cancelled my HuluPlus subscription yesterday... This confirms it.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

How does this confirm why you cancelled your Hulu+ subscription? If anything it only gives benefit to paying the premium. My issue with Hulu+ is that we're still stuck with ads and we're not able to see all shows. I am sure the show availability will change, ads though I think are here to stay. At the very least, I would love to have that option to watch a 2-minute ad in the beginning for all Hulu+ shows to avoid commercial breaks.

I'd like to get to a point where everything is easier and eventually get rid of cable.

7. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

I don't care, hardly ever watch Hulu. After canceling my cable I've watch less and less TV and focus my attention on more important viewing, like Star Trek Voyager on Netflix, 100 plus episodes of 7 of 9:D, it should keep me busy for a few days.

8. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Exactly. My biggest problem with Hulu+ is that much of their programming isn't available for devices outside the browser. I've got both a Blu-Ray player and an HDTV that are Hulu capable (as well as iOS devices that can zap content to my AppleTV), and because of stupid licensing issues, I still have to connect my MBP to my entertainment center - an option that's simply unacceptable for my non-techy wife.

It won't always be like this of course, but it's frustrating to be so close to being able to tell the cable company to go eff themselves. ;)