fox vs. google

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by omar4578, Apr 8, 2011.

1. omar4578 macrumors regular

omar4578

now i did a quick search on the interwebz and saw many likes and dislikes for pc, but not for the mac.

i also searched on MROOGLE and found nothing of this sort...

so here goes my question,

for a heavy internet user like me, (torrent downloads, browsing with TOR, and youtube, also look up a lot of tutorials for adobe programs) what browser would you suggest?

now i have tried chrome, firefox, ie, and opera, and out of all those my 2 favs are firefox and chrome, but i do use firefox waaaay more than chrome

ive been seing that many people use chrome more... is there a significant advantage that mac has with the browser chrome? cause im a PC to mac recently and use firefox a lot

or will firefox work pretty much the same?

2. ender land macrumors 6502a

3. omar4578 thread starter macrumors regular

omar4578

thanks bro, i did a really quick search, mustve not used KEY words there...thanks though

4. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I dropped firefox probably a year ago and went Chrome. I liked the cleanliness of it and how simple it looked. Also at the time I was on an 11" screen and I felt chrome gave more screen space. I liked the google sync for bookmarks etc and never had a problem with it. Even switching to Chrome OSX I've been using for nearly a year. But oddly enough I've been having flash issues (youtube really) with the video not loading and just having audio with the video just beeing see through. Some weird crashing issues etc.

I just installed firefox today 4.x and it's not bad. I've made some adjustments via extensions to make it more chrome like, like downloads, and I like how tabs can be on top as well as bookmark syncing. Other than that as long as it works speedily and I get more screen space in browsing I'm happy. I disliked firefox 3 because it seemed really clunky. Like a lot of stuff at the top.

5. Mokuro macrumors member

Chrome all the way. Firefox uses too much memory for its plugins.

6. iMackPro macrumors 6502

i used to never use anything but safari, but now that you can customize chrome so much.. well:D. Also, i swithced without knowing anything about the speed comparisons. Apparently chrome is way quicker, i think i can tell a little bit. But anyways im really happy with chrome, i like how i have 5 of my favorite tabs open the second i start my broswer. Chrome is some good stuff!

7. teddat macrumors member

teddat

Those were much much older browser iterations in that 2010 review. The current crop are closer in features and speed. I would say use what you are comfortable with most. for me its ff4

8. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

9. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

Maybe two years ago but not now.

Firefox has better extensions, Chrome has... ummm yeah. lol! :D

10. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Chrome is slightly faster than FF... I still use FF (more functionality).

11. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    i was an avid FF for years then recently made the transition to chrome 6months back

chrome on mac, i find it quite buggy and web pages often freeze... usually MR
    yes it is faster but eventually went back to FF and really cant tell the difference
    i use xmarks and 1password to sync all my bookmarks, and passwords

12. Tonepoet macrumors regular

I for one would rather not use a Google owned web browser if not only for brand decentralization. However ever since I upgraded to version 4.0, Firefox seems to be running choppy on the videos after extended periods of use, which is simply unacceptable. Chrome and Safari don't seem to have this problem. I think the key issue here is that Chrome has more mature hardware acceleration support (Firefox just added it and Safari has none at all) buuut I also have my doubts, esp. since I thought video acceleration was only supported on last generation Nividia cards on the mac. Since I watch videos a lot, I need something that does it well and so it seems like Chrome is the best option since it's more feature rich than Safari, at least until the next version comes out.

13. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

This is a topic that needs re-evaluation for the 2011 MBPs. The system resources consumed are very different than previous models. Historically, Chrome has been the fastest and lowest resource hog, but the newer MBPs seem to run faster using Safari and consume fewer resources. I say seem as it would need to be tested in depth to say for sure.

14. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

15. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

When I played around with a friend's CR-48 and thus discovered that many of the plugins I used on FF where available on Chrome, I set up the sync feature (since I use a bunch of different partitions/machines) and switched.

16. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    i've been trying to get into safari as many on here state it uses the least resources and has the fewest issues

i find the layout and functionality of safari very different - awkward even!
    I have been using safari on my iphone for years and used safari when i needed to get work from certain apps over wifi

I have to say chrome is nice - but it crashes way to often for my liking - firefox is so much more stable, functional and on the 2.2 I7 quadcore with 8gb ram and ssd - i really cant tell the difference in terms of speed