Foxconn struggles to keep up, working around the clock

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrcrlee, Sep 17, 2014.

1. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

2. leenak macrumors 68020

Pretty good for China standards I believe. China is a much poorer country than the US and most western countries. When I went a few years ago, the exchange rate was 8:1 which meant the dollar went extremely far. It was one of the cheapest trips I've ever had. Which is obviously why there are a ton of factories in China besides China being willing to court companies.

3. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I was thinking the same and also their work rules.

----------

Not some of the chinese I've seen here in So. California over the weekend purchasing these $3,000,000 - $5,000,000 homes in Irvine.

4. leenak macrumors 68020

Irvine has 5 million dollar homes? that surprises me ;)

Having said that, there is also a huge wage gap between the rich and the poor in China. Also, there is a difference between Hong Kong and Taiwan and mainland China. When I went to UCIrvine, many of my fellow students were Taiwanese, very few came from mainland China that I met at least. Most people in China don't drive cars, in fact our translator told us that to get a license is extremely expensive as are cars. That doesn't mean we didn't see any, we did and some very nice ones. But the average person didn't have them.

5. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

What surprised me from the article is they have to scrap about half of the 5.5 screens that are produced because they are substandard. That is a lot of money just being flushed down the toilet.

How would you like to hear "Thanks for coming in today we need to throw away all the work you've done."

6. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Up on Culver Dr. near Portola Hills, a place called Orchard Hills. It surprised me too. The area wasn't all that impressive. And the homes didn't look like they would cost $5,000,000, yet we kept running into these large chinese families..

----------

I really feel for these people. I have a friend who won't buy an iPhone for this reason.

7. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

It was the same thing last year too, and probably the years before that. Apple never seems to have enough phones produced at launch and then have to pump them out like mad for the next few months until they catch up with demand.

A cynical person might say that this is intentional. Nothing makes a product appear more successful than people having to wait for it.

8. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Well, get ready for the "my phone is scratched out of the box!" posts.

9. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

Oof... I remember reading reports about that for the iPhone 5 slate so I video recorded the ATT rep opening the box for activation. As you could guess it had two nasty scratches :(

I suggest everyone always video records the entire opening your iPhone while the box is still shrink wrapped.

10. james92se macrumors 6502a

So does your friend not own any smart phone or electronic device at all?

It boggles my mind that Apple gets singled out for this stuff when virtually EVERY electronic device including Androids are made in identical conditions in nearly identical factories in China

People take this big stance against Apple yet still almost assuredly own a phone built under the same conditions or possibly even worse.

11. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Then, I guess it's because of the reports linked to Apple you hear and read about and not from the others (maker/brands).

12. leenak macrumors 68020

From what I've read, Apple actually does good comparatively from what I read. They get a lot of press because they are Apple but there was a few mentions of companies that were a lot worse in terms of factory worker conditions. Basically, anything made in China will have similar or worse conditions than Apple.

13. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I agree; I don't know if you watched that news report on Foxconn, where they interviewed the workers, reported on the assembly-line type working conditions, and reported on their way of living, how many of them were charged to live in these Foxconn dormitories, because their villages/residents were too far to commute for work, plus the suicides. I believe all this press came from these reports.