Foxmarks Safari Beta

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skwij, Dec 11, 2008.

1. skwij macrumors 6502

Foxmarks for Firefox is one of my MUST HAVE extensions, as it syncs bookmarks over multiple computers. Handy handy handy to have!

Now the creators are Beta testing a version for Safari. Anyone using this? I've got it installed, and will be trying it out over the next little while.

What's interesting, is that it appears that it can/will sync Firefox bookmarks and Safari bookmarks so that my browsers will ALL be synced. If that is in fact the way it works, it will be AWESOME.

So, anyone else beta-testing this? Thoughts, comments?

2. jonahlee macrumors newbie

jonahlee

Damn, how did you get that lucky! I have wanted that feature so much, especially with an iPhone. This would be perfect!

3. nippyjun macrumors 65816

I have a foxmarks question. how does foxmarks handle duplicates and conflicts. Does it ask you to make a selection as to which bookmark you want to keep/delete?

I'm afraid to use it thinking that it may delete some of my bookmarks.

4. nexus144 macrumors member

I've been using it for about a month now and its great. No major issues so far with conflicts and such. I signed up a few months ago for the beta and an email appeared in my inbox a few weeks ago. If you've got any questions just ask.

5. si77hay macrumors regular

Totally agree! FF is my main browser becuase of the some essential Add-ons such as Foxmarks and Web Developer.

I found a Safari version of Foxmarks under their Beta testings area, but the damn things closed! Only a waiting list available. Don't suppose you could send via email could you, if that would work......and you still have it? :)

It stores your bookmarks on a server, and updates them frequently. If you delete a bookmark locally, it deletes it from the server. Same with Additions and Amendments. I've been using Foxmarks for quite some time and only once has it found a discrepancy, where it asked if I believed the 1) Local bookmarks were correct 2) Server bookmarks were correct 3) Amalgamate the two to be safe!

6. cuestakid macrumors 68000

is there a download link for the beta or is it private? I cannot find one on their site.

7. si77hay macrumors regular

If you have an account, you can visit the below URL, but......as I mentioned it's now closed and only a waiting list is available.

http://beta.foxmarks.com/welcome

8. skwij thread starter macrumors 6502

I was on the waiting list for all of 2 weeks.

The only thing I've found so far is that adding bookmarks has gotten a little hit-or-miss, with both browsers.

9. si77hay macrumors regular

This looks interesting. Apparently syncs your bookmarks over various browsers. However, it's not an addon for FF, and there's a pricetag.

Bookdog

10. nippyjun macrumors 65816

If i setup foxmarks on computer 1 and then on computer 2 and have it merge the bookmarks. If i delete bookmarks on either computer do they get deleted from the other computer? that's what i would want to happen but how would it know if it was deleted from one computer or just not added to that computer and then try to add it back?

11. skwij thread starter macrumors 6502

If you delete it from one computer, it will delete it from the server/stored bookmarks. Therefore, when comp2 syncs, it's bookmarks will reflect the change on the server, and will automatically have the updated bookmarks (ie deleted on comp2, too).

I think I'm going to have to create a separate account for Safari vs Firefox. The Safari bookmarks are a mess. Way too many duplicates/sextuplicates, rather than syncs, when selecting the "add bookmark" option.

General use is fine, though.

**note to self, submit this odd behaviour to the beta developers**

12. si77hay macrumors regular

As skwij mentioned, the important thing to note is the bookmarks are stored on a separate server, so a comparison of the two computers is possible.

haha, that made me laugh!

13. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Ok i did it. I installed it on my second machine today. I had it merge and then had to clean up a bunch of duplicates (created because some of my folder names didn't match.. my fault). But then i went back to the first computer and everything was nicely synced up... i'm impressed.

14. si77hay macrumors regular

I work on a home Mac, PC and Laptop, and an office Mac and PC. My better half shares the home Mac and Laptop.

Without Foxmarks, we'd be in a right mess! We find it invaluable.

15. fourwalls macrumors newbie

Here it is...

If you want a copy of the beta DMG file, let me know and I can email it to you.

16. si77hay macrumors regular

Sounds buggy, but I'm still interested to install and give it a go if you don't mind?

Thanks!

17. fourwalls macrumors newbie

It is a little unstable... but the only thing I find is that it just disappears from the Menu bar after a while. It does work though. I just manually restart it and sync up the bookmarks and then after a while it will be gone again :)

Here it is for the first 10 people who download it...

18. si77hay macrumors regular

Thanks. Perhaps I should just backup my bookmarks before I install this :)

19. fourwalls macrumors newbie

I haven't had any issues with missing bookmarks in Safari when using this program... only issue seems to be that it will just suddenly quit without warning. I use it as a manual sync... when I want to sync, start the program, do the sync and then leave it running. Later when I look, the icon is gone from the menu bar.

That said, it is easy enough to backup your bookmarks, so do that as well :)

20. joelshooty macrumors member

Is it possible for you to post the dmg again? I'd love to start trying it... It's the only thing preventing me from using Safari as my primary browser again. I'm currently still on the beta waiting list.

Thanks.

21. si77hay macrumors regular

Not sure if I can post that??? I'd be happy to mail or IM it. I have v0.0.24

22. steve.balderson macrumors newbie

its on the green demon ;)

ive been using it for quite a few versions now, used it for firefox. But now have abandoned firefox altogether for the stability of Safari. As more devs port extensions to Safari i think firefox will have to find a new ground of attack on the browser market !

23. fourwalls macrumors newbie

New version here

Limited to first 10 downloads... so get it now. This is the updated beta 0.0.25

Click here to download.

24. fourwalls macrumors newbie

Revision history

Foxmarks for Safari Beta

Thanks for helping test the Foxmarks Bookmarks Synchronizer for Safari. Here are a few things to help you get started:

* The current version is 0.0.25. If you have a problem and you're running an earlier version, please be sure to upgrade before proceeding.
    * The latest version is available here.
    * If you encounter a problem that isn't addressed below, please post it on our forums or email us to let us know.

Foxmarks for Safari works on MacOS 10.5. It does not work on 10.4 or earlier. It does not support password synchronization.
    [edit]
    More than just Safari sync

Foxmarks for Safari syncs the bookmarks on the Foxmarks server with the bookmarks stored by the MacOS system. These are the bookmarks used by Safari, as well as other applications on your Mac. We call this "Foxmarks for Safari" because Safari is the main reason people will use this, but you get more than just Safari bookmarks; e.g. you can sync your iPhone bookmarks.
    [edit]
    Known Bugs

* Downloads can be slow. The first-time download of a large number of bookmarks from the Foxmarks server to your Mac can take a while; processing 5000 bookmarks can take as long as 10 minutes.
    * Cancel can be unresponsive. Sometimes, it may take a minute between when you click on "Cancel" and when the sync ends.
    * Sync dialog stays on one "Spaces" desktop. If you use the "Spaces" virtual desktop feature, sync dialogs will stay put on the first "Space" in which you opened the dialog.

[edit]
    Known Limitations

* Firefox bookmarks include many features that don't have an equivalent in Safari, such as tags, keywords, and separators. We will preserve your Firefox specific features when synchronizing between Firefox and Safari, but:
    o They won't be available to you in Safari.
    o If you do an upload from Safari, those Firefox specific features will disappear in Firefox.
    o Firefox separators are displayed as "----------" in Safari.
    o The Firefox "Recent Bookmarks" and "Recent Tags" folders appear as bookmarks in Safari, with gobbledygook URLs. This is because under the hood, in Firefox these items are in fact not folders, but query terms.
    * We do not currently support many of the more advanced features available in our Firefox client, such as synchronizing with your own server.

[edit]
    Past Releases
    * v0.0.25, 1/12/2009
    o Fixes bug: Automatic sync crashes if Growl is not installed
    o Reduce amount of logging
    * v0.0.24, 12/30/2008
    o Fixes bug: Foxmarks for Safari sometimes crashes on automatic sync. There was a memory leak which (presumably) would eventually cause the process to die.
    o Faster: normal syncing with no changes is much faster.
    * v0.0.23, 12/17/2008
    o Fixes bug: Foxmarks for Safari will refuse to start. Sometimes, especially after a restart, Foxmarks for Safari will refuse to start, claiming that another instance is already running. For now, you can fix this by deleting the file "foxmarks.pid" in your user's "Library > Foxmarks" folder.
    o Stability improvements to upload and download
    * v0.0.22, 12/12/2008
    o Fix bug where RSS feeds were getting mangled.
    o Make application more stable
    o Do not immediately sync when a change is detected, but instead queue up a sync to happen soon. This makes Foxmarks for Safari play nicer with MobileMe, and cuts down on the number of syncs that happen when tidying up your Safari bookmarks.
    o Better check for already-running instance of Foxmarks for Safari. Previously, if Foxmarks for Safari died badly (and became a zombie process), it might refuse to start up again since it thought it was already running.
    * v0.0.20, 12/10/2008
    o PPC compatibility
    o Fix bug where separators ("-----") could grow in length in repeated syncs
    * v0.0.16, 12/3/2008
    o First beta release

25. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

So, can this also work as a safari-safari bookmarks sync program (instead of mobileme/.mac)?