FPS Limiting App

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Brandon0448, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Brandon0448, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

Brandon0448 macrumors 6502

Brandon0448

Hey guys, so I just recently bought the new i7 macbook air for school. Ive been installing a few older games just to have something to kill time with. With the integrated HD graphics in this thing the CPU likes to get HOT. Like just after a few minutes of gaming it will hit 85-95 degrees celsius. In WoW there is a setting to limit the FPS and it really helps keep this thing cool but most other games do not. I was wondering if there is any app out there that will globally limit the FPS in games. I would like to cap my FPS at 30 instead of the 60 that Vsync caps it at. It drops my temps by about 10-15 degrees. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brandon

2. Brandon0448 thread starter macrumors 6502

Brandon0448

3. holmesf macrumors 6502a

Any such app would have to operate at a fairly low level in the OS. It's very unlikely to exist.

4. Mumstalker macrumors member

Have you tried Something like SMCFan Control? It let's you set the speed of the fans, so before gaming you increase it and after you set it to default. That helped quite a bit my MBP.

5. Brandon0448 thread starter macrumors 6502

Brandon0448

Yes I do have fan control but it really doesn't help at all. Yes it keeps inital temperatures down but as soon as the processor heats up the fan would be chugging away at full power with or without it. I need a way to actually lighten the load on my processor.

6. holmesf macrumors 6502a

Okay, well you probably can't limit frames per second, but you probably can limit CPU % use.

Here is an example program that does this (warning, I have in no way tested this program and cannot vouch for it).

http://www.willnolan.com/cputhrottle/cputhrottle.html

7. jason221 macrumors 6502

I don't think any app like that exists, but you can limit your fps in most games. For example, in Call of Duty 2 (or 4), if you open the console (press `) and write /com_maxfps 30 and hit return, you've just limited your fps to 30. Of course, this varies from game to game, and some games won't have a console for you to write commands in. For those games, just look for fps in the settings. Otherwise, you're out of luck.

8. Brandon0448 thread starter macrumors 6502

Brandon0448

I'll probably try that app to limit your CPU usage when I get back from Bluegrass. But I fear instead of giving me a smooth 30 FPS it will jump all over the place as the demand for processing power increases and decreases. And I'm trying to limit some older games which do not have a console. Thanks for the help though guys.