FPS stuttering in Mavericks on games such as LoL

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by iMcLovin, Nov 15, 2013.

1. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

Hi, so far my experience in Mavericks have been so so. It was suppose to be a speed increase over the whole system. But, its seems like my machine is doing so much stuff in the background that causes lags and stutterings.

F.example, in League of Legends (the game) I get some fps slow downs. I dont think its the game, because the lags are irregular and not when huge battles are happening. But sudden moments the game start to stutter and then back to full fps again.

SOme times the machine is writing to the secondary disk like crazy and I have no clue what its doing, if its indexing the files there or what?!?

ALso, in Photoshop, I have a lot of smaller bugs happening now and then, like getting white menus and stutters too.

WIth Lion I didnt have any issues. I have a iMac late 2012, with 768 gb SSD and 32gb ram top of the line gpu with 2gb Vram.

ANy tips fon how to remove any of the quirks ?

2. davelanger macrumors 6502a

I bet he has to do what ever mavericks is doing with freeing up or moving around memory in the background since now in mavericks you are always using 100% of it, where as before you could just be using 50% for a game and if he needed 20%more it could just take it.

3. iMcLovin thread starter macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

makes sense, this also might be the reason why photoshop suddenly gets a tiny lag, which sometimes ends up with the icon stuck on the rainbow wheel or menus become white. So, it seems the new mavericks ram handling isnt that optimal. I bought 32gb of ram so I always have enough, but seems the mavericks system is optimized to handle ram well for small laptops with limited ram, not the opposite.

4. davelanger macrumors 6502a

i wish there was a way to disable how the OS does that in the background.

It shouldn't always have to be on. I play WOW and there are a lot of people who claim when they are in raids sometimes they will get this issue when it lags for a tiny second every so often.

Yeah I have 8 gigs of ram which should be ton for what I do. I think the way mavericks uses memory is for people that only have 2-4 gigs and use bigger programs. Hopefully we get an update that fixes it or lets us shut it off.

IMO there is no point if the system only needs 4 gigs of raw for example, that is using all 8.

5. Sym0 macrumors 6502

Sym0

COD4 stutters and drops frames on my rMBP, it had smooth as poo on 1080p settings now it doesn't matter the res, it just runs poorly. Something is wrong with Mavericks.