Fragmented Album from iTunes Store in Group View

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kelmon, May 15, 2008.

1. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

A couple of days ago I bought a new album off the iTunes Store. No issues were noted with the download but when I display the Music or Purchased lists of media in the Group View then iTunes displays the tracks like they are from separate albums. The tracks are part of a compilation album ("Eddie Halliwell Presents Fire It Up") but they should all be displayed as items of the same album as a list of tracks beside the album artwork.

I've attached to this post a screenshot of part of what I see, which shows a normal album at the top and a few of the fragmented tracks from the new album below. The Group View has been sorted by Album.

I did think that the ID3 information about the tracks might be messed up, or at least show differences why iTunes might not associated all the tracks as being part of the same album, but I'm damned if I can see any issue. All tracks show as having the same Album Name, of the same Year, with their Track Number correctly shown.

Anyone else come across this before and, if so, were you able to sort it and how? I've tried re-importing the tracks, manually changing the ID3 information, and nothing seems to make a difference. Oddly, a couple of the tracks are related to each other in the view with, for example, 3 and 14 shown together.

Attached Files:

2. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

Are the tracks marked as part of a compilation?

3. Kelmon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

Yes. I turned it on and off again just to see if that would help but no luck.

4. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

Make sure the "Album Artist" field is set to something like Various Artists.

5. Kelmon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

You, sir, are a WINNER! Yes, that did the job. Thank you very much.

6. cragpuss macrumors newbie

Hi, This is my first time here & hope you can explain how to find this function on itunes 9 as I cant sort out my defragmented album track's either.

Thanks in advance & nice forum:)

7. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

Select all tracks, right-click and choose "Get Info". From there, the Album Artist field will be located on the second tab.

8. cragpuss macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help,but how do I select all tracks??

9. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Press CMD-B to browse through Genre, Artist, Album. Click on that one album. Press CMD-A to select all the songs in it.

Or click on the first song and Shift-Click on the last song to select all songs.

(Or click on one song and CMD-Click on another song to select these two songs.)

To remember stuff like that really makes working with iTunes easier. :)

10. cragpuss macrumors newbie

Ok I might be being a bit thick here but what is CMD-B ??? I have tried various options but non of them work:mad:

All I want is for all album tracks to show on one album! I can't understand why anyone could possibly want to split them? & why has itunes done this automaticly when all i did was load them normally anyway. Can someone please help.

11. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

12. cragpuss macrumors newbie

Ahh Getting closer;) Can someone tell me which key is the command key please.

13. cragpuss macrumors newbie

:confused:

14. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Sorry I wasn't any clearer. I'll break it down as far as I can. On your keyboard, down on the left side there are …

the control key: ctrl

the option key: alt

the command key: cmd (click on the link to get more info).

Press the command key, keep it pressed and press B as well. This will bring up a filter where you can browse through Genre, Artist, Album. Find your album, click on it. Press CMD-A (see above ;-)) to select all the songs in it.

Then press CMD-I to change the information for all the selected songs, e.g. Album Artist, etc.

Hope this helps. :)

By the way, since your on a dedicated Mac site, I assume you've got a Mac keyboard of course.