FRAK! Time machine help.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dr.Pants, May 10, 2009.

1. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Alright, so on my PowerMac G5, I recenlty installed some programs and backed them up to Time Machine. The G5 is running 10.5.6. However, the HDD just happened to fail, but I backed up to time machine...

And here's where I tell the tale that the G5 was bought off of eBay, and the OS discs that came with it are 10.4.4! So, I assume I cannot use this with my 10.5.6 backup. Could I, or am I stuck buying a new copy of OSX from Apple or FleaBay?

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Yep, sorry to say it, but to restore from a Time Machine backup, you'll need a Mac OS X disc with Leopard. :(
    You'll probably be able to find it cheaper through online retailers than through Apple.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

That is unfortunately the case (so far as I am aware).

Perhaps you can contact the original seller and ask for the leopard disks, which he/she was obligated to include originally.

4. Dr.Pants thread starter macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Alright, well I contacted them. Part of me thinks that the Leopard install came from the MacPro that replaced this machine, but I could be wrong. Worst comes to worst, I have to buy the discs from somewhere.

Thanks for the quick replies.

5. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Couldn't you, at least in theory, use the Terminal from within the installer to copy the files manually?

6. Dr.Pants thread starter macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Perhaps - at the same time, however, I'm not an expert at Terminal. I'll read up on it and try that.

7. Dr.Pants thread starter macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Alright, I need to RTFM. Anybody have any good links for figuring out Terminal? I've been searching, but the stuff I've found as a complete command-line newbie really is getting the better of me. Raised in the GUI world, I guess.