Frame rate issue on youtube fullscreen?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tbb07, May 11, 2011.

1. tbb07 macrumors newbie

Is it just me experiencing an issue when choosing to go fullscreen on youtube?

I can watch 720p videos just fine. But even a 240p video, I get frame rate issues full screen.

I'm thinking this has to do with flash. Anybody else experiencing this or have a solution?

2. EeZeEpEe macrumors member

EeZeEpEe

I was wondering if anyone has been experiencing this too! I've been trying to find information on this since I got my iMac on Thursday. It's only YouTube videos because Vimeo and sites with their own flash player play fine full screen.

3. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

iMac or Mac's in general do not support flashplayer really or was it the other way round :confused:
    have to say youtube worked perfectly fine on the iMac core duo 1.83 with radeon x1600 (128mb vram)and 2 gb ram and it works perfectly on my eMac's

4. EeZeEpEe macrumors member

EeZeEpEe

I don't know about that. My parents 21.5" mid 2010 iMac plays back all YouTube qualities at full screen just fine.

tbb07: I have a 27". You get the same size?

5. EeZeEpEe macrumors member

EeZeEpEe

Bump. Anyone else having this happen for them too?

6. EeZeEpEe macrumors member

EeZeEpEe

Sorry to bump this again but I'm really curious if we're the only two people to have this problem? I'm on a 27", 3.4 GHz, with 6970M 2GB.

7. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Your iMac isnt powerful enough. :eek:

Does this happen in all browsers? Or just Safari. 99.99999% of all videos on youtube dont need to be full screen. Every minute another 2 full days worth of videos are uploaded to youtube. Yikes.

8. EeZeEpEe, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011

EeZeEpEe macrumors member

EeZeEpEe

LOL. Yeah I tend to go all out on things.

I've tried with Safari, Firefox, and Chrome. The videos I do check out most of the time are 720p so being able to full screen with smooth playback would be nice. In the mean time I've been doing the scroll to zoom in.

9. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Maybe its just the video itself?

Or your net connection?

Can you give us a link to a video that doesnt play well?

10. EeZeEpEe macrumors member

EeZeEpEe

It's not my connection because even when a video is fully loaded it plays choppy. Any video on YouTube in fullscreen whether its 240p, 360p, 480p, 720p, 1080p. As previously stated, it's only with YouTube videos though. Fullscreen with Vimeo and sites with there own flash players all play fine.

11. BR485 macrumors member

BR485

Fullscreen YouTube videos play just fine (with Firefox 4.0.1) on my comparatively ancient 2008 24" iMac.

12. EeZeEpEe macrumors member

EeZeEpEe

UPDATE:

So I'm pretty sure it's Flash but I don't know why it's specific for YouTube. I ended up finding "ClickToPlugin" for Safari through an Apple discussion about choppy playback. This forces Safari to try to load an HTML5 video player first. With that I'm able to play all the YouTube videos fullscreen at any quality nice and smooth. I guess there's going to have to be a Flash update or something.

13. EeZeEpEe macrumors member

EeZeEpEe