FrameChannel RSS photo & text feed screensaver app = awesome!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by azcoyote, Apr 4, 2010.

1. azcoyote macrumors member

When you're not actively using your iPad, it makes on heck of a digital photo frame. Better image quality than most if not all existing digital photo frames. I've had a 10 inch Digital Spectrum wireless photo frame on my desk at work for over a year. The image quality on that photo frame pales in comparison to the iPad. The iPad does come with a nice built-in photo screensaver mode. Cool for displaying photos you've synced to your iPad. But it can get boring quick seeing the same photos over and over. I HIGHLY recommend getting the free FrameChannel app for iPad. The link is

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/framechannel-photo-frame-screensaver/id364742159?mt=8

FrameChannel is a free service that lets you display RSS photo and text feeds to digital photo frames as a slideshow. They've now come out with an app for the iPad. I've been using FrameChannel with the Digital Spectrum wireless photo frame I have at work. It's an awesome service. If you have photos on websites like Picasa, Flickr, Smugmug, or even Facebook, you can set up FrameChannel to randomly display photos from those sites. You choose which albums, or tags in Flickr, you wish to display, and even customize what days of the week and time of the day (morning, afternoon, evening) you wish certain feeds to appear. Also, when you set up your account on FrameChannel, you automically get an email address that you can give out to family members and friends. They can email photos to your Framechannel email address and those photos will automatically start displaying on your iPad when you have the app running. Not only does Framechannel display photos, it also display RSS text feeds. A very cool feature! Throughout the day you can have news updates from sites like CNN, weather forecasts, sports scores and updates from ESPN, local traffic info, your favorite blogs, Twitter and Facebook updates appearing on your iPad in addition to photos. Framechannel already has many predefined "channels" (their term for RSS feeds) that you can pick and choose from, saving you the trouble of having to set up the RSS feeds yourself. If you find an RSS feed that isn't already set up as a channel, you can set up a custom RSS text feed. I've done that for sites like MacRumors and other blogs I frequently visit. Like the photos feeds, you can customize what days of the week and time of day each RSS feed appears. It will take a bit of time to set up Framechannel, but it's definitely worth it. And best of all, it's free.

2. azcoyote thread starter macrumors member