Frames dropping in FCE4 (when clip speed changed to X 800%)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ghoztman, Jan 13, 2009.

1. ghoztman macrumors regular

I am making a little home movie from HD footage shot on a Canon HV10. I have a file that is about 800mb in size. I am using FCE4 to edit. The edit machine is a mac pro 2 x dual core Xeon with 5gb Ram and a dedicated 7200rpm HDD.

What I am doing with the clip is speeding it up (it is a clip of a sunrise) by 800%. This does not require rendering. When I play the clip back I get messages about RT extreme (which is not enabled) and dropped frames.

I am a noob with editing.

What can I do to resolve this? Do I need to scale down the size of the clip? What is the best way to do this?

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

try setting your timeline's RT settings to "Unlimited"... it's a small drop down menu on the top left of the timeline window.

3. ghoztman thread starter macrumors regular

Wouldn't that make it worse though? It appears to be crapping itself, with the settings on safe.

4. huntercr macrumors 65816

Why don't you have RT extreme enabled? Just curious...

What version of OS X are you running and what version of FCP?

Supposedly there's an issue very similar to this caused by a conflict of OS X 10.4.9 & FCP 5.1:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2103?viewlocale=en_US

5. ghoztman thread starter macrumors regular

I was wondering this myself. I was going to post asking what kind of specs one would need in order to use RT Extreme. I have a 2 X Dual Core Xeon 2.66ghz, 5GB RAM MacPro, running FCE4 on Leopard 10.5.

I have tested RT Extreme and basically any effect that needs rendering cannot be used with RT Extreme enabled. I have to set RT Extreme to safe and render all clips before playback.

Granted, it is a big file played at 800% the speed, but still a machine like this should be able to do it. :confused:

I am now getting the message recommending me to disable RT EXtreme and get faster discs because frames are being dropped on a clip that has no effects on it. My discs are Western Digital SATA2 16MB buffer.

Are you guys able to make meaningful use of RT Extreme? If so, what system specs do you have?

EDIT:

With a MacPro like mine, what should I expect from RT Extreme?

6. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

speeding a clip up isn't very processor/RAM intensive... it could be that your hard drive isn't fast enough. what codec is the clip? try rendering the clip in the timeline for playback.

7. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

This is most likely the answer. I do this kind of work at times and even though I get a green bar in Final Cut saying I should get real time preview, I can't really watch the clip without rendering. My hard drives just aren't fast enough to push that much data through so quickly, and I assume that is what is happening to you.

P-Worm

8. ghoztman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies guys, I am using:

Sequence Preset: Apple Intermediate Codec 1080i50
    Capture Preset: HDV - Apple Intermediate Codec

I have standard 7200rpm, 16mb cache sata2 drives, one 500gb dedicated scratch disc for FCE.

9. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

ding ding ding

you're hard drive can't keep up... you'll have to render it for playback.

AIC is a pretty high-bandwidth codec so going 8x that is too much for a single drive. You'd need a RAID for that. just render it and move on.

10. ghoztman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply :)