Frameworks & Standards...

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by smilinmonki666, Jan 25, 2011.

1. smilinmonki666 macrumors regular

Ok guys,

I have a web site, which I am happy with the design, but feedback is saying it does not look professional. I'm not so sure, I think its half way there.

I am a programmer/ developer. So, I agree with form over functionality but also believe the functionality should be present.

However, when I used to build sites, I never had any structure.

Since programming for the last 8 months I've learn't to build within tables or set CSS for the Application.

I have now been advised to build in the following structure:

HTML/PHP - Then add -> CSS - Then add -> JQuery

This then allows the user to view the site(s) with disabled javascript & disabled stylesheet.

My view is, this is not going to happen often & the only people that disable the above are geeks & over paranoid users.

What I need is feedback from the interweb. Designers, programmers & users alike.

When you create a web site, due you think of this, or have certain standards for yourself?

Any advice will be grateful & I think this will help others like me who want user ability at its best for there sites?

My website so far can be found at:
    beta.wukkiweb.co.uk

Cheers

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I take this is the exact route I use.
    While you feel no one but geeks disable browser features, you're missing that people with disabilities use the web, and developing in this manner makes SEO so much easier. It's very much in your best interest to take this route. A List Apart has great articles on progressive enhancements and graceful degradation.