Francais Canadien Keyboard help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by geimfar, Dec 10, 2009.

1. geimfar macrumors newbie

I'm using an american keyboard and need to type in french.
    I've switched my International setting to (francais-canadien) but can't figure out all the keycodes, variations. Is there a way I can view my french keyboard or a link that has all the key variations listed (the one's I've found so far have been incorrect)? Most annoying is that I can't seem to find the regular apostrophe now. Please help. (I'm running 10.5.8) on a macbook pro.
    Thanks

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Go to System Preferences >> Language & Text >> Input Sources and check "Keyboard and Character Viewer" and "Show Input in Menu Bar". Now you will see a little flag in your menu bar. Click it and select "Show Keyboard Viewer".

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Don't bother with the French layout. You can type most accented characters, including French's àâçéèê and so forth, using key combinations on the normal US QWERTY keyboard. Just type the accent followed by the character to receive the accent.

ç = option + c
    à = option + `, then a
    é = option + e, e
    ï = option + u, i
    ô = option + i, o

... and so forth.

And yes, keyboard viewer is quite handy for finding other special characters. Hold option and option + shift to see special characters appear on the keyboard layout.