France - "not so" unlocked iPhone 4's?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WhatAmI, Aug 13, 2010.

1. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Hi guys, a friend of mine managed to by a factory unlocked iPhone 4 in an official Apple Store in Paris, France. Price was €700+.

Once back in his home country, which isn't France, he tried to activate the iPhone but failed - following a phone conversation with Apple France he's told that the iPhone 4 is correctly sold as Factory Unlocked but only unlocked for existing French providers....

Is this true or are they playing him? :apple:

2. kevinof macrumors 6502a

If it was sold to him as "sim free" then it was mis-sold. Send it back. The law in Europe is sim free phones can not be tied to any operator/country. Even if they didn't say "sim free" but implied it he/she can insist on it being unlocked.

We have very strong consumer rights in Europe - he should use them.

3. elie.fares macrumors regular

I bought mine from France at the Apple Store - Louvre. I'm using it in Lebanon. It's unlocked and all.

4. WhatAmI thread starter macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Thanks for the feedback guys, I would love to hear from additional ppl who bought French phones and use them with non-French providers. I have a nagging feeling something isn't quite right here...

5. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds like he didnt buy a factory unlocked iphone but one locked to a french provider.
    Unlocked iphones will work with any sim, what the rep told him is BS.

7. filfortugno macrumors regular

well..

well you're 100% sure he bought it from an apple store? sounds to me like he bought it from some random dude offering it on the black market and your friend got fooled into thinking it was unlocked. Also it's important to note he needs a micro-sim from the carrier he wants to use, which he must get from them... the iphone 4 is not available in all countries because of the micro-sim...

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can cut any regural sim to microsim size.

9. OMGitsShan macrumors regular

My friend in Luxembourg drove across the border to France and picked up a phone and it works fine on his Luxembourg carrier.

Looks like your friend has a locked phone. Tell him to try a different SIM from a different network.

10. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

does he have a receipt from the apple store??

I know here in Canada when you go in and buy a factory unlocked iPhone

It states on the receipt

No Contract Sim...

11. WhatAmI thread starter macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Thanks a heap for the replies - he did buy it in an Apple Store and yes he has tried micro-SIMs to no avail. I'll recommend him to get Apple to replace this for him 'cause this is ridiculous... Unlocked means unlocked - so what's the likelihood of an Apple Store handing out erroneous/locked iPhones 'cause I sure never heard of it