France

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by csulheim, Jan 2, 2011.

1. csulheim macrumors newbie

I'm going to Paris next month.I want to bring my IPAD with.Has anybody had any experience with the AT&T service over there?

2. seajay96 macrumors 6502

I'm living Paris right now, AT&T service doesn't really exist here. You will jump around to different carriers based on signal strength, but it's really pretty seamless. I would strongly caution against using your AT&T sim for 3G data. You will have a pretty interesting surprise when your bill comes next month. You can go to one of three companies (Buoygues, SFR, Orange) and get a pay as you go type Sim that should be a better deal. (probably around 30€ for a month with a limit around 1Gb)

On the other hand, wifi is pretty widespread in Paris, many places with free access.

3. Robin4 macrumors 6502

Do you have to be a resident to be able to buy a SIM card? Can you buy one when you are a tourist.

There is an international fee for AT&T but it is exorbitant. I would not even consider it.

4. seajay96 macrumors 6502

Good question...I'll ask when I go to the store tonight...let you know later and I'll see what the fees are right now.

5. seajay96 macrumors 6502

Ok, I stopped by a couple of the kiosks on the way to the grocery store. Here's what I got:

SFR and Orange both have pre-paid plans that do not require a local address or bank account. Both companies offer unlimited internet plans:

SFR's plan is 10€ (about $14) for the first 3 days. After 3 days, you can recharge at 6€ per day.

Orange is a straight 8€ per day with unlimited internet.

SFR is clearly the better deal financially, but I can't speak to their coverage.

Orange has great coverage all over France and Paris in particular.

____

Bouygues' website shows 10€ for 2 days unlimited, and recharge at 6€ per day for 300 Mb.
    ____

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: I am not a representative of either company and they have the right to change their rates at any time without consulting me first. :cool:

6. Robin4 macrumors 6502