foliva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2021
Dear all, what can be wrong with my Macbook Pro? Input would be greatly appreciated!!

1. Bought a busted 15" Macbook Pro 2015 on Ebay:
    1. Machine would only boot with the battery disconnected (otherwise would go on a constant boot loop)
    2. Battery would not charge at all
    3. Keyboard & trackpad not working
  2. Replaced:
    1. Logic/MB & I/O boards & SSD HD (pulled from another working 15" Macbook Pro 2015 I use on a daily basis)
    2. Magsafe board (new)
    3. Topcase (bought used from Ebay w/keyboard/trackpad, speakers & battery; battery reports 70 cycles)
In sum, I am only using the display, wifi board, the I/O flex (that goes under the logic board), fans (I think), etc. from the busted Ebay laptop.

The replacement of parts (and resetting SMC) resulted in:
  1. Machine boots with a startup USB drive with Mojave install;
    1. I can erase the SSD and go on to install Mojave; the machine behaves pretty smoothly
      1. Trackpad, speakers, keyboard, wifi, etc. work fine
    2. I can see the battery is charging now and can see now a % of charge, however machine powers off if a pull the AC adapter
  2. After the machine restarts/resumes, it hangs at "12 minutes to complete the installation"
Things I've tried with same result:
  1. Resuming installation with the battery disconnected
  2. Re-erased and re-installed Mojave
  3. Reset SMC
  4. Ran Diagnostics (no error reported)
Considering all the parts I've replaced, I am puzzled as to what could be wrong with this Franken-Macbook. Don't know what else to try.

Would appreciate your valuable input.

Many thanks!!

TiggrToo

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2017
Out there...way out there
Dear all, what can be wrong with my Macbook Pro? Input would be greatly appreciated!!

1. Machine would only boot with the battery disconnected (otherwise would go on a constant boot loop)
  2. Replaced:
    1. Logic/MB & I/O boards & SSD HD (pulled from another working 15" Macbook Pro 2015 I use on a daily basis)
    2. Magsafe board (new)
    3. Topcase (bought used from Ebay w/keyboard/trackpad, speakers & battery; battery reports 70 cycles)
In sum, I am only using the display, wifi board, the I/O flex (that goes under the logic board), fans (I think), etc. from the busted Ebay laptop.

1. I can erase the SSD and go on to install Mojave; the machine behaves pretty smoothly
    2. I can see the battery is charging now and can see now a % of charge, however machine powers off if a pull the AC adapter
  2. After the machine restarts/resumes, it hangs at "12 minutes to complete the installation"
  3. Reset SMC
Considering all the parts I've replaced, I am puzzled as to what could be wrong with this Franken-Macbook. Don't know what else to try.

Many thanks!!

Given the known errors I’d warrant that this machine may never run normally again.

There’s a point of diminishing returns where beating a dead horse becomes nothing more than an expensive exercise in wasting time, effort and money.

Who knows what other issues lurk in the parts that remain? There’s enough out there in the display and WiFi board alone that could continue to give you grief.

Even if you do finally get the O/S installed you’ve no confidence that another niggle won’t crop up a few days later that’ll cause a kernel panic - or worse.

Sometimes it’s time to say “well, I tried” and move on.

Comment

foliva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2021
Tried installing the OS to an external drive?
Just did... same result 😥 Installation got stuck at the same point

I tried with another bootable Mojave install just to discard the possibility that my installation thumb could be the problem

Reactions: Audit13
Comment

foliva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2021
Given the known errors I’d warrant that this machine may never run normally again.

There’s a point of diminishing returns where beating a dead horse becomes nothing more than an expensive exercise in wasting time, effort and money.

Who knows what other issues lurk in the parts that remain? There’s enough out there in the display and WiFi board alone that could continue to give you grief.

Even if you do finally get the O/S installed you’ve no confidence that another niggle won’t crop up a few days later that’ll cause a kernel panic - or worse.

Sometimes it’s time to say “well, I tried” and move on.
I know... TBH this is a hobby to me: I'm not expecting a ROI and thankfully this is not a machine I critically need. That said I understand there's a point where I'll call it quits and move on. I just don't want to give up... not yet. Thanks for your input!

Comment

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
Just did... same result 😥 Installation got stuck at the same point

I tried with another bootable Mojave install just to discard the possibility that my installation thumb could be the problem
I am wondering if using the other bootable thumb drive installer worked? Can you provide more specs on this laptop? CPU/RAM configuration, what SSD you are using?

You originally posted you did the following:
  1. Replaced Logic/MB & I/O boards & SSD HD (pulled from another working 15" Macbook Pro 2015 I use on a daily basis)
  2. Magsafe board (new)

Have you swapped out all the ribbon cables from your working MBP to the one you're trying to repair since you're using a known working MBP to figure out what is wrong with the one you purchased off of eBay... just a thought...
From what I can see there are two cables that connect to the I/O board. I would check this.

Comment

foliva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2021
Good progress!

I managed to completely install Mojave and the computer seems to run (almost) fine.

The issue is the battery: I disconnected it, reset SMC and managed to complete the OS install without any issues. Been running the computer with a power adapter.

Two things are bugging me though:

• When going into Preference > Trackpad, rather than the usual screen to setup multitouch gestures, the computer seems to want to connect to an external bluetooth trackpad (that said, the built-in trackpad works fine, recognizes multitouch gestures, etc.) IMG_1932.jpeg
  • The Magasafe cable led is orange (shouldn't be green instead? I mean, no battery is connected; it's not like it's charging a battery) IMG_1933.jpeg

Thanks for your valuable input!

Comment

foliva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2021
I am wondering if using the other bootable thumb drive installer worked? Can you provide more specs on this laptop? CPU/RAM configuration, what SSD you are using?
It didn't work with a different thumb drive installer. The laptop is a 2.2 Ghz Macbook Pro 15" 2015 with 16 Gb of RAM. I am using a stock 256 Gb SSD card. I did manage to isolate to the battery the problem of not being able to fully install Mojave. Not scott free though (pls refer to me recent post).

Have you swapped out all the ribbon cables from your working MBP to the one you're trying to repair since you're using a known working MBP to figure out what is wrong with the one you purchased off of eBay... just a thought...
From what I can see there are two cables that connect to the I/O board. I would check this.
I did swap the I/O top flex and the trackpad flex with flexes I pulled from a fully working a1398 2015 15" Macbook Pro (haven't replaced the I/O data flex going underneath the logic board).

Comment

kocoman

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2007
the smc errors can really "hang" machines for like 5 min doing nothing. but will resume after the timeout

Comment

pshufd

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
That's a lot of work to save a few bucks. I'm not saying that I wouldn't do something like that myself but only if I had a lot of time and the money was completely disposable.

Comment

foliva

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2021

2. Replaced:
    2. Magsafe board (new)

3. Reset SMC

Many thanks!!
Problem fixed!!!

The battery indeed was
Good progress!

I managed to completely install Mojave and the computer seems to run (almost) fine.

The issue is the battery: I disconnected it, reset SMC and managed to complete the OS install without any issues. Been running the computer with a power adapter.

Two things are bugging me though:

• When going into Preference > Trackpad, rather than the usual screen to setup multitouch gestures, the computer seems to want to connect to an external bluetooth trackpad (that said, the built-in trackpad works fine, recognizes multitouch gestures, etc.) View attachment 1779838
  • The Magasafe cable led is orange (shouldn't be green instead? I mean, no battery is connected; it's not like it's charging a battery) View attachment 1779839

Thanks for your valuable input!
Problem fixed!

Replaced the battery with a new battery. SMC reset and issues gone.

Secondly, the trackpad issue fixed on its own after applying a Mojave update and restarting the computer.

Matter of fact, typing this post from the computer itself.

Can't wait for my next project!!

Thanks everyone for your input!

Reactions: Macdctr and Audit13
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.