Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mingitup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2012
I have a 2007 Macbook Pro 15" SR that has the dreaded NVidia 8600M GT logic board. It finally bit the dust a few weeks back and refuses to boot, instead locking into a cycle of chiming and rebooting. I took it to the local Apple store hoping it'd be covered under the recall but the computer is 6 months out of the 4 year coverage and they could not even boot it past POST to properly diagnose it as the graphics card issue.

Replacement logic boards run about $300 on eBay and there's no guarantee that the one I buy won't have the same issue at some point down the road. So I am thinking about re-assembling the computer as a sort of custom computer, salvaging the LCD display, the Super drive and the hard drive. So my question is, will the 15" display connect to any other LVDS port on recent Apple notebook logic boards? I think I can score a Macbook logic board for ~$100, and if I can simply hook up the 15" display to this board I can assembly myself a decent little machine for the kitchen counter.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

mingitup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2012
Never mind, looks like the connectors are different.

Back to the drawing board...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.