FrankenMac: Solder a 2.8 Extreme into the MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MaddieBrad, Aug 9, 2007.

1. MaddieBrad macrumors regular

MaddieBrad

I couldn't do it...
    But do you think it is possible? I know there would be obvious issues possibly with heat. But other users have documented how much cooler their systems ran just by reapplying the thermal grease in a proper way.

So any real gear heads care to comment on this.

Lets hear some INFORMED opinions.

I would love to get this done if it was.

B

2. ScottDrummer macrumors 6502

:confused: it would be pointless and not worth the gains, it prolly uses a different bus architecture, everything could be different in the two chips not just the internal clock speed. its childish to think you can just get the latest cpu and solder it on in the place the old cpu was and expect it to work lol.

3. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

as long as we're on the topic...

can anyone provide me step-by-step instructions (photos would be awesome) on how to put a G5 into my sr mbp? :confused:

:D

4. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

If you want the latest and greatest... Wait for Apple to do things in Their own time, for Apple knows what is best for us in their infinite wisdom.

Listen to yourself.

Solder a 2.8 extreme into the Macbook Pro. Over 400 pins.

That 400mhz is not going to matter for 100% of what you are doing.

5. Zel macrumors regular

You know why the socket on a C2D is called LGA 775? Because there are seven hundred and seventy five pins that need to be soldered.

Apple uses a robot with a special arm with about 1500 fingers. Good luck doing that yourself.

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Hey folks, if you've got something to say, make it constructive. That said, there is such thing as constructive criticism.

No need for a mod to have to delete OVER thirteen posts in a single thread.

Keep it clean and on-topic, thanks.

7. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Even if possible, you are going to be looking at over $850 for the processor. Really worth it for what might be 10-15% performance depending on application?

8. gutb macrumors newbie

hi, i am new to this forum.
    to my knowledge, the santa rosa mbp's chipset and motherboard should be fully compatitable with the 2.8 C2D extreme in the new imac. So, I would say it is fully possible for an upgrade.
    However, there is two main issues, 1st, the battery life; 2nd, the heat.
    C2D extreme is meant for overclocking, if i am right, and that is definetly a pretty hot processor.
    Battery life, I would estimate, to be lowered to around 2.5 to 3 hours.
    I don't think it worths the upgrade, it would be amazing to see a 2.8 C2D extreme MBP though.

9. MaddieBrad thread starter macrumors regular

MaddieBrad

Some people can be such pricks. This was only a hypothetical question. I only wanted to know if it was possible. No need to be a condescending ******. I know my way around computers but do not know much about laptops. I didn't realize that each pin was soldered individually. Sooooorry.

Jesus man... This thread doesn't need ANY criticism, even constructive as Devil says.... as it was just a hypothetical... "what if" thread.
    Nothing riles me up more than people speaking condescendingly to me. Gets me so irate that I want to type things that would get me banned. ha.

Anyway... The only reason why I asked is because I thought that the CPU in the new imac was a Santa Rosa chip. THerefor making it compatible with the rest of the innards in the MBP.

arrrg.

10. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Not possible. You'd need a new motherboard, RAM, video card, everything really. In addition to the fact that I doubt a G5 would even fit in a MBP case.
    (All of that is as far as I know, I could be wrong but I doubt it)

11. theman macrumors 6502a

Maybe you should try soldering it to your cerebral cortex...