Frankenmac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ggibson913, Feb 3, 2013.

1. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

Hey guys,

Just trying to get an opinion here. Normally I buy a Mac and the warranty apple care which has come in handy many times. However with this latest purchase I do not have an Applecare warranty with it. The one year warranty is out so it sort of puts me in a unique position to make the mac I want,

I was thinking of upgrading my Hard Drive to an SSD drive and moving my existing HD to the Optical Drive Bay in my Late 2011 Macbook Pro. I wil be running both OSX natively and Windows 8 Pro once Apple updates the Bootcamp drivers.

Does anyone know how hard doing this is? I am a reasonably intelligent guy but not an engineer.

Thanks

2. Apple Techs macrumors member

Check out OWC they have the caddy for the hdd to fit in the optical drive swapping an sad out is easy the whole thing will require a screw tray Phillips and a torx set (maybe) very easy if you need help check out ifixit but you should be able to just see what needs to happen.....

Have fun :cool:

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Very easy.
    You just need the parts which is:
    -Optibay
    -Main bay SSD/HDD
    -Optibay SSD/HDD
    -Phillips screwdriver for back panel
    -Hexa screw to take the HDD out of main bay

Before telling you the procedure, do you want to fresh install the OS or just put everything all together?

4. ggibson913 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

thanks

Thanks,

I think the wisest move would be to move all of my music and photos to an external drive first then do a fresh install.