Franklin Wireless CMU-301 4g/3g mobile broadband doesn't work with Lion?!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by atarin, Jul 20, 2011.

1. atarin macrumors regular

OK, so I have a Franklin Wireless CMU-301 4g/3g mobile broadband usb stick for Xfinity Internet 2go, which I have to have to get on the Internet at work. I upgraded to Lion today, and now I can't get on the Internet unless I create a hotspot from my iPhone 4 (not acceptable - I can't afford that). Does anyone know of a way to get the CMU-301 to work in Lion? If not, how do I downgrade back to Snow Leopard? I can't afford tethering as my only option to get on the net at work! I am NOT happy. No one told us this would happen. :mad:

2. Madd the Sane macrumors 6502

Madd the Sane

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Look for updated drivers. That's the only advice I can give you.

3. atarin thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

There are no drivers to download. Stupid xfinity/comcast has to update their stupid connection manager, which I doubt they'll do. Guess I'll be paying on a contract I can no longer use.

4. atarin thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately, the only way I could fix my problem was to boot in 32-bit mode. I guess until Xfinity joins the 21st century with a 64-bit app, I have to run Lion in 32-bit mode if I want to get on the Internet. At least I can get on the Internet now, though. This has been a rough night! :eek:

5. sccarlso macrumors newbie

Easy solution for around $50.

Buy a CradlePoint CTR35, plug the Franklin CMU-301 into it. Plug the ethernet cable from the Cradlepoint's ethernet jack to your Mac. The cradlepoint software can be set to seek 4G and fallback to 3G, and keep checking to see if 4G service is back in range, or be forced to use only 4G or only 3G.

Done, no drivers needed on your Mac, you can run in 64bit, and you get the full speed of the 4G connection. Or you can not use the ethernet port and connect to the WiFi of the Cradlepoint with your AirPort (along with any other WiFi devices you have). It also can be used as a Wifi client mode to connect your entire wired network to a WiFi network.

Lots of options, great device and it's compatible with all of Comcast's USB dongles, old and new, as well as about 250 other USB modems.