Fraps equivalent for OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by printz, Feb 17, 2013.

1. printz macrumors regular

Is there an equivalent to the Fraps display video recorder, for OS X? I mean one which does no compromise on the video quality just to write something small. Fraps writes some immense video files but they're at full FPS and size. There are many display video recorders on the App Store, but they're all crap knockoffs from a common source (you can observe that from how similar they look to each other), which plummet the overall FPS of the computer display while recording, and produce something like 3 fps.

So I recorded some game with Fraps on Windows, then transferred the videos to my Mac, then used Any Video Converter to change them to a codec QuickTime and iMovie understand (I chose the Sony PS3 1080p format). Now I imported them to iMovie and it is taking THREE HOURS to process them (I selected optimization "off").

Normally I could just process and mix them using Windows Live Movie Maker, but I'm curious how iMovie works.

Anyway, is there a FRAPS equivalent on OS X with similar non-compressing behaviour (and that lets me record to the external HDD)? I mean come on, I heard good things about the iMovie editor, and maybe a format for OS X wouldn't take so long for iMovie to process.

2. kgs macrumors regular

Try the demo of this

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/

3. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Screenflow is one of the best screen capture tools available for the Mac. It also has a built in editor that is pretty powerful, with multiple video and audio channels. I used to use SnapzPro X, but switched to Screenflow several years ago. I have used screenflow to capture video for screencast tutorials as well as in game video capture.

There is a free trial on their website.

4. kgs macrumors regular

We used Screenflow at work. Lots of issues. I'd pass based on my experience.

Lots of random crashes and loss of data.

5. James Craner, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013

James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I can't remember the last time Screenflow crashed on me to be honest and I use it a lot. Maybe you have a specific issue with your system or were using an older version. I found SnapPro x used to slow down the frame rate quite a bit (for games), but it was several years ago when I last used it. Screenflow has a powerful built in editing system, not on a par with FCP, but still very capable for producing screencast tutorials. Screencastsonline have moved to producing all their current screencasts on Screenflow, rather than edit in FCP.