Fraps -> QuickTime

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sijmen, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

I took some shots of a game I was working on with Fraps for use with Keynote. It appears that Fraps uses its own DirectShow based codec, so that's not going to work on Mac.

What I'd like most is to re-encode the Faps AVI to H264 in an MP4 or mov container. This would probably have to be done on a Windows system, so the Fraps codec is available.

Another option I've seen mentioned is to use VirtualDub on Windows and convert to old-style AVI. That seems to work, but the files are huge. So huge that it isn't really an option.

Quicktime Pro seems to offer what I want, but it's at a price, and this is a one-time thing.

I tried to use SUPER (or something like that) on Windows with x264 but it required either the width or the height to be a power of two, which means I'd have to scale the video. Not something I want.

So, any other options for getting my Fraps video into Quicktime on my Mac so I can use it with Keynote?

2. buzzbee macrumors newbie

I am going to try and take the S-Video output off my PC's video card and transcode it through my camcorder into Quicktime Pro. Then I also think I have to take the audio out of the PC through the audio input on the camcorder to get the audio.

If you found another easier way I'd love to hear it.

I've been wanting to get some FRAPS video into quicktime format as well so I can edit in Final Cut Express. I have been searching and searching and not finding anything.

3. Sijmen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I ended up converting to Xvid on the Windows machine and then transferring to the Mac. Worked great (with the Perian Quicktime plugin on the Mac).