Fraternity website

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by kidwithdimples, Oct 5, 2009.

1. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

So I have to make a website for my friend's fraternity because they all think I am good with computers. Well I'm decent.

But anyway... I was wondering if there are any applications that I can use to make it? Like those pre-made templates and I can just edit stuffs in?

2. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

3. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not a blog, haha. They will eventually buy a domain and host it.

4. tooz macrumors 6502

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well it doesn't sound like you know much about web development so you may want to look at something like RapidWeaver. Also, though you dismissed it, WordPress may be a decent choice. Look into it more so you can see what it's capable of. You didn't mention the type of content you're wanting to have on the site.

6. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

I suggest Drupal which is a free, open source Content Management System. It requires only PHP5/MySQL both of which are standard on most decent webhosts. You just install it, pick and download a theme from their themes web site, optionally add a few modules you might like, and instant web site as simple (or complex) as you want. The key being, Drupal allows for scalability so as you learn more, you can install more modules and fancier graphics and even embed PHP code *without* affecting the core program so updates are a snap. WordPress is primarily for blogging, but has so many extensions and themes that people also use as a basic CMS. The difference between Drupal and Wordpress is features, security and scalability - go with the former if the site will grow over time, go with the latter if such concerns are a lower priority. Drupal is more complex, learning curve a little steeper, but you can customize alot more - the modules and themes are excellent.

Both are common choices for free/open source PHP/MySQL - and both have web based setup and management.

-jim