Fraud Alert - Phishing via phone - 800 830 8574

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Consultant, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Got a phone call real early in the morning from 800 830 8574 which left a message asking to "verify account." Of course, most people would know that these things are attempts of scammers to steal people's information, but I was surprised that they use phone calls now...

Googling 800 830 8574 shows that people have been getting phishing phone calls from that number since at least November 2007. Why isn't that scam shut down yet?

2. tefleming macrumors 6502

Caller ID spoofing, ftw

3. balooeyezz macrumors newbie

This phone number is NOT a scam. It is an automatic call to verify a purchase you made with your credit card. You can either verify you made the purchase, or let them know you did not authorize the purchase. There is even an option to give you details of where the purchase was made. Also, if you do not answer or return the call, they may automatically put a stop on the payment.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

On a slightly unrelated note, if you're a college student, professor, staff member, or paid someone off to have a .edu address, there's a phishing scam going around asking for your user ID and password. I thought no one would be dumb enough to fall for it, then I got a call at work today:

Me: Help desk, how can I help you
    Professor: Yes, I suddenly can no longer access my e-mail
    Me: OK, are you trying to use Outlook, Web Access, other client with IMAP?
    Professor: Web access. I received an e-mail earlier today asking me to verify my user ID and password and I replied to it, and now I can't access my mail.
    Me: [long pause].....You replied to it?
    Professor: Yes
    Me: With your username and password?
    Professor: Yes
    Me: *bangs head on desk*

5. 8boltwheels macrumors newbie

Sometimes the Calls ARE legit

I got a call from this number this morning around 13:35 GMT, and, as the rest of you have noted they ask you to verify transactions.

If you wait long enough, you can fail out to a live CSR, who, in my case, was polite, very understanding about my suspicion, and forthright about who they are and what they are doing.

Company Name: First Data Corp
    www.firstdatacorp.com

On behalf of almost every bank out there they verify transactions using this automated call/reply platform, and are VERY understanding about anyone who calls in and refuses to divulge ANY information to them. They will advise you who has asked them to call you, based on the number you were called on. (In my case the number in their database didn't match, but the forward from number did!) They completely understand if you reserve your right to then contact the requestor directly through a vetted known legitimate inbound contact number, for that requestor.

In addition to this service, this company does voice verification of credit card transactions, and similiar related services serving the credit card clearing industry.

Some of you who are concerned about spoofing are justified in that concern, but for the scam to completely go around this company, the scammer would have had to game the national 800 network ( or at least a portion of it near you ), to redirect the call to a point they control.

Still in all, it is wise to be suspicious, and if you do make contact with First data, they will provide you with the requestor's information which you can use to contact them directly.

Personaly, I think they would save themselves some grief if they provided more information to called parties about who/what they are, and perhaps, alternate ways for us to validate their notices.

FWIW ! :)

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Nobody ever said professor's were smart. I should know, I am one. :D