Frayed cord, would like your advice before I take it into store.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by connormmaher, Oct 6, 2014.

1. connormmaher macrumors newbie

Hello, I've come here on an off while being a mac owner while looking for the proper upgrade to this very mac. I recently (last year) had my screen broken by my college roommate and got it replaced. About a month ago it just started shutting off randomly, so I sent it away to get fixed at a local apple store. After about a month I got it back saying it was fixed but quickly realized it wasn't, so I took it apart myself and noticed a frayed cord that when pushed back together fixes the issue. Here is a picture of where the cord is, and i'm wondering what my best option is?

Edit: circled where the cord is frayed, directly under where those screws are.

Attached Files:

2. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

take it in again. if you have the paperwork of it being fixed by apple, take that too. can't tell what they'll do, replace and fix it again?

3. matty1551 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't tell them you opened it up though. Don't want to give them any reason to void your warranty.

Just insist you are still having the same issue.

4. AppleP59 macrumors 6502

I always thought they can tell.
    Is there nothing in the way of security tape?

5. connormmaher thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't bring it to an authorized dealer (I didn't know the difference at the time, rookie move). They are a small Apple Store near my ski house that has previously done great work before. I'm not blaming them on the issue instead i'm just looking for the name of the cable that is circled, and what I could do to have it fixed properly.

6. matty1551 macrumors 6502

It depends on how far he went. If he just took the bottom panel off and looked at things, then no.

That's a bundle of cables. One is wifi, one bluetooth. Can't remember the others though.