frayed magsafe 2 cable near the connector

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lucasrant, Sep 17, 2014.

1. lucasrant macrumors regular

A friend's cat mauled the cable of my retina macbook pro near the connector and now it won't charge.

does anyone know if apple will replace it for free? I don't have applecare, but the computer is less than a year old.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

first completely unplug it from the wall if you haven't already, short circuits can lead to fires.

and to answer your question, probably not, since it's not a manufacturing problem.

you could try though, go into the genius bar, be friendly and don't demand anything (since really, they don't owe you anything)

if they say no, then hey you're already at the apple store and can buy a new one
    if they say yes, then SCORE, you don't have to buy a new one

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Accidental damage including cat gnawing is not covered under your limited warranty. You can try a Genius Bar but do not think they are obliged to give you a free repair/replacement.

4. Erko macrumors member

If you know where it is broken then it's an easy fix, you just have to solder two wires and shielding and cover the exposed wires so they wont touch/be a hazard, I used heat shrink tubing to do mine. Worked like new!