Frayed MagSafe Connector "L-style" (help?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zachnelson, Apr 8, 2012.

1. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

So, I was under my desk arranging cords for my various electronics and stumbled upon this. I'm somewhat disappointed at this point for a number of reasons, however I need some help of what I can do.

First of all, I live in a house with no pets, and this charger has sat stationary under my desk for the better part of the two years I've owned the computer.

Secondly, I don't have AppleCare's 3yr coverage because when it came time to purchase it, I couldn't afford it. (The computer was a gift)

I'm a college student with a grand total of $0 at the moment with all my income from work being applied directly to loans. Is there any chance if I come into an Apple Store with this cord, they will replace it? If not, does anyone have any idea if the cord is "safe" to use for the next few days until I can afford the ~$50 for a new one?

Inspecting it further, the internal power conduit appears to be intact, with the only damage being done to the actual rubber and internal metal shielding. The brick does get hot when charging but it's always been like that I believe. As you can see from my other pictures the other attachment points are just fine with little to no noticeable wear.

My most important issue is if it can be used relatively safely for the next few days.

Thanks so much anyone who replies this evening! I've got 66% battery left so... :)

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the speedy reply, I definitely intend to, although it seems tomorrow might be difficult due to timing but hopefully I'll be able to drop by tomorrow.

4. negativzero macrumors 6502a

Additionally take a look at this article on preserving your cable.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1630?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Its preferable to leave some slack before winding your cable to prevent it from snapping. Personally, I add a loop into the cable before twisting it so I know it wont bend out of shape.

Attached Files:

5. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

OP: I would NOT use it until Apple have looked at it, that's a recipe for a dead short there. If you get a nice genius you may get lucky. I never "Wind" my cables, just leave them slack so they can't break like that....Not the best design Apple has ever come up with though. Good luck..:)

6. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've actually never wound it up like that believe it or not, it just sits stationary under a desk :(

However I'll keep that in mind for the next one!

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

good post i actually do this with all my wired devices

8. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

It is safe, just wrap some electrical tape around it and make sure wires aren't exposed. People overreact about a bit of frayed wire sometimes.

9. Takashi macrumors regular

I would not use the charger until you get it replaced.

10. JamerTheProgram macrumors member

I have a similar problem with my old charger.
    It took 8 months of excessive use, and the outcome was the same.
    I bought a phoney one without knowing, broke.
    Bought a new one and it hasn't given me any issues since.

11. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

So... visited Apple Store at 8:55 today, 5 minutes before close. I had to make an appointment :( So, hopefully good news at 5:45 tomorrow :p

12. Suanmiao macrumors member

I had exactly the same problem with my power brick. It was 3 month out of the standard one year warranty, took it in an Apple Store @Beijing. I was told by a Genies that they will charge me for a replacement because it was well out of warranty. But changed his mind when he saw my machine, I've been taking good care of my mid 2010 MBP since day one so it looks brand new.
    My advice is that you should give your MBP a good clean before bringing it in, and tell the Genies Bar that how you love and baby your machine, it's worth trying...
    good luck!!

13. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

No dice, no new charger, nothing helpful at all from the Genius.

Kinda surprised considering people have gotten free iPhones and Macs for no reason, and I can't get an out of warranty charger to be safe, but looks like I'm rolling with the broken one for a while

14. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

I got this by email: