Frayed Power Cable-Warranty Not Honoured

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scooblitz, Oct 22, 2012.

1. scooblitz macrumors newbie

I am currently having some issues with my Macbook Pro power adapter caple. The casing for the wire split at the neck where the magsafe head attaches to the cable and has now got so bad that the casing is coming apart in chunks and about half the rubber casing surrounding the wire has come away from it and is continuing to split and fray further down the rubber casing.

I did some googling and found that this is not and uncommon problem. In fact it seems to be well documented and publised. Apple even had a lawsuit filed against them about the problem. Yikes!

So i popped into my local apple store fully expecting them to replace the cable with no questions, only apologies. However, this was not the case. The gentlemen said to me that apple wouldn't be able to replace it as it was deemed to be "physical damage." Im thinking to myself "yes it is physical damage. you can physically see that its frayed, you can physically touch it" It was deemed, by apples eyes not to be a manufacturing fault and wasn't even covered by the Applecare i had bought at the purchase date. I disagreed and said that it initially starting fraying at the top and steadily got worse and worse. Not of my own doing. We went back and forth and round in circles and i thought it best to let Adam get on with his shift and attend to the other customers waiting with their own problems at the genius bar in favour of speaking to the store manager to plead my case further.

I spoke to the manager and i he said much the same thing as Adam, the first chap and that apple wouldn't be replacing it because it was Physical damage and not a Manufacturing default.

I left bemused as to why i wasn't given a replacement power adapter. I went for some lunch and did some googling and found several bits and bobs on the same issue as mine. I prepared a little bookmarked section of precedents regarding this issue. Amongst the things i book marked were forum posts from user experiencing similar issues and that theres had been resolved, an apple "replacement scheme" published on their website and several photos that were comparable to my charger. I decided it would be best to pop back in after lunch and show the Manager Carl what i had found.

Heres what i gathered:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3969697?start=0&tstart=0

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4127?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma5p89UHuD1r6pmq8o1_1280.jpg

http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/10/class-action-lawsuit-forces-apple-to-replace-frayed-magsafe-power-cords/

So i did just that and asked to see the manager again and asked if i could show him what id found. He obliged and we sat down on the little benches "apple store style" and i brought out my macbook and showed him all the evidence suggesting that what was wrong my my charger was not an isolated incident and that other people had been given replacements free of charge, what i feel i deserved and moreover, entitled too. Carl reiterated the same line about physical damage and i asked him to differentiate the difference between "physical damage" as Apple put it and a manufacturing fault. He couldn't really give me a proper explanation in all honestly but pressed home that Apple wouldn't be replacing it. When i showed him some of the things i collect he found it necessary to point out that the forums were peoples opinions, the lawsuit was peoples opinion and the adapter replacement scheme was opinion. Wait it a minute, its on the apple website. Its apples opinion. He then decided to try and stifle my argument by saying that the item i had pulled off about the replacement scheme was "U.S only". So if thats his contention, he must be implying that U.K products are different quality to the U.S or the U.K market doesn't warrant or deserve the same level of customer service. To further try and stifle my argument he decided that the the picture about the lawsuit, (me trying to show this was a serious and well documented issue) was not the same product which i had in front of me (the picture has the t-shaped adapter instead of the L-shape which i have) and neglecting the fact that i had already showed him a picture of a frayed cable of an L-shape adapter that is remarkable comparable to mine.

I tried to keep my cool but i didn't enjoy the experience one bit. Im not a complainer but i felt strongly about my apple product which i cherish and spend my hard earned money on only to be fobbed off and threatened to be "walked away" from. For the first time i really don't feel like walking away or backing down here. There is clearly precedent of this issue and that replacements are being given out. I think the managers contention is that because my charger is in such bad condition that it no longer falls under the remit of manufacturing fault despite the cause of the poor state of the cable being as a result of the manufacturing fault.

Im looking for help to know exactly where i stand in this situation. Im not really sure what to do. My Current charger works, but i don't want to run the risk of shorting out my macbook. I can ill afford the price of a new one, nor do i feel i should need to pay for one. All help and advice is hugely appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

P.S Sorry about the essay.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Call Apple Support; tell them your cable is fraying and they'll send you a new one.

3. tommy h macrumors newbie

i would just buy a new one, i am a guy who buys a lot of recording equiptment as well as ,sound processors,guitar stuff keyboard stuff,yada /yada..........for me,i find it is not worth the time or the aggravation,haggling and arguing over this junk,i love my macbook and i think your cause is noble, but everything is so cheaply made be thankful its just the adaptor cord

4. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

As alphaod said, call them, explain that it's frayed and ask for a replacement.