Frayed power cord...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by puffnstuff, Sep 28, 2009.

1. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

I got the frayed power cord issue where it opened up. Went to the Apple store they told me I needed my serial number. Went home came back and now they are having me wait over an hour for them to look at it.

I thought this issue was a common defect like the cracked whitebook and they instantly replace it:confused::mad:

2. puffnstuff thread starter macrumors 65816

They swapped it but I am still kind of shocked that I had to go through such a long wait for a problem that Apple themselves noted was an issue.

I expected to walk in, show it them, get a new one. :mad:

Oh well..

3. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Well, did you ask them why it took so long?

4. puffnstuff thread starter macrumors 65816

First time there I went up to an available Genius and showed him my cord. He asked me if I had an appointment. I didn't so he pointed me to the person with the orange shirt.

I told the person with the orange shirt that I needed a new cord. She asked me if I had an appointment and a serial number. I said no she said I needed the serial number.

Came back with the serial number and went up to the person with the orange shirt. Then was directed to go to another orange shirt person. I went up to that person she directed me to a computer to set up an appointment.

I said all I wanted to do was get a new cord it's frayed and Apple is suppose swap it out. She then said she could fit me in but it was going to be over an hour wait. So I sat for over an hour for the cord.

5. daflake macrumors 6502a

You have to make an appointment for a reason. They are usually very busy and can't bump people just because you want something. You should have scheduled an appointment and you wouldn't have had a problem.

6. puffnstuff thread starter macrumors 65816

Like I said since it's a common defect I didn't know it was an issue where you need to schedule an appointment. I never expected them to bump anyone it only took a minute to hand me a new cord.

It would be nice if they had a defect person you could just walk up to.

If this problem happens again could I just go to Best Buy?

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It is a simple procedure but they still need to check your computer to see if it's under warranty and they can only do that at the Genius Bar as they have access to iLog. As far as I know, Best Buy is separate from Apple and are usually dealers not service providers so unless you have some sort of agreement with Best Buy, going to them is not an option and you will have to go to an Apple Store or call AppleCare for a mail/exchange.

To be honest, I really don't see the problem here. We all know how busy the Apple Store is and for the most part, Genius' handle customer after customer so it would make sense that there wouldn't be someone available to help you when you need them to. Just make an appointment to save time and trouble. If you need a part ASAP and no appointment is available, call the store and speak to the manager. I'm 100 percent positive that they will make arrangements.

8. dextermorgan macrumors member

This is the reason I always use call-in/mail-in support.

9. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

To me, waiting an hour is a lot better than waiting a few days. Plus it's an excuse to go to the apple store :p