Fraying Magsafe 2 Connector

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by springsup, Aug 6, 2013.

1. springsup macrumors 6502a

springsup

Hello everybody,

I'd like to hear about any reports of frayed MagSafe 2 cables.

You might know that Apple redesigned the original "T"-style MagSafe connectors due to dangerous fraying around the cable from normal wear-and-tear. Then, with MagSafe 2, they brought the old style connector back.

Now, my personal experience with the MagSafe 2 is that it's a bit of a PITA. The new design somehow manages to simultaneously pop out of the laptop whenever I sit down, but not if the laptop is on a desk and the cable gets sharply tugged (I almost had a heart-attack when this happened!)

It might be worth mentioning that I never experienced any issue with the old "T" style connectors. I never saw any fraying, and the magnet always had just the right amount of hold.

Anyway, I'd noticed a bit of gathering and discolouration on my cable for a while but didn't think much of it. Just now I noticed that it has actually started to come apart:

IMG_0396.jpg

So naturally, given the history, I'm interested to hear about anybody else with similar problems.

2. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Does it still function properly? I had the same happen to a lightning cable.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1608640

Had no problems getting it replaced at Apple under warranty. I believe the most likely culprit was the awkward position the connector would be in when using the phone while it was charging.

3. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

I have both the new Lightening Cable and the Magsafe 2. And I can SAFELY say, both of these have happened to me. When trying to get my lightening cable replaced, they said that if it works then they can't replace it. Have not tried taking the Magsafe 2 cable to Apple.

4. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

My lightning cable was so bad, it had to be wiggled to work properly.

5. springsup thread starter macrumors 6502a

springsup

It does still work, but it sometimes need a wiggle. I've got an appointment for Thursday with Apple.

It's a bit concerning to hear about all of these other cable issues, especially after the previous issues, not to mention people dying recently from poor quality 3rd-party power cables.

6. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Since you need to wiggle it, I'm sure Apple will replace it no questions asked. You're still under warranty correct?

7. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Same thing with my lightening cable. It's bunched up and the connection keeps getting worse every time.

I haven't taken it in yet for a replacement, but I might soon. I just had my MagSafe that came with my 2009 MBP replaced a few months ago after my warranty was up.

If you can reproduce the issue in store on multiple devices they will likely replace it.

Attached Files:

8. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Interesting, have you thought of um electrical tape as a quick fix? Or is static ridden hair an in style right now? How does this happen? Must be really neglectful and rough. I have had only 1 mag safe since 2006, still in pristine condition and I travel 18 times + a year for work and my 17"MBP is always with me. Very odd indeed.

9. springsup thread starter macrumors 6502a

springsup

Yes, I could put some electrical tape around it, but this is a relatively new machine and it certainly hasn't been manhandled. It's under warranty so I expect it'll be replaced easily enough.

The cable was slightly bunched up at the connector end out-of-the-box, but it seems to have gotten worse to the point where the casing is splitting.

As I said, my old MagSafe 1 on my previous laptop was fantastic; right amount of hold and the cable still looks nearly new.

----------

That is exactly how this cable looked maybe a month or two ago.

Then it became discolored, and now it's started splitting.

10. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro