Freak Battery life

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TribalToy, Aug 10, 2008.

1. TribalToy macrumors newbie

Hey all...last night before going to bed I gave my Iphone a full charge. Before settling myself in at the butt crack of dawn I unplugged my phone. Waking up I did the usual, check my email only to find...IT WAS DEAD?!

I've got it charging now and check the settings i had it on...
    Push checks every 15 mins
    3g on
    Screen setting to 25%

Any ideas on why my phone took a huge dump over night...I'm giving it another solid charge before I start to even freak out.

2. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

Push every 15 minutes is going to eat your battery life. Try turning push off and turn fetch on 30 minutes/1 hour. Also make sure location services are off and that auto-brightness is off.

3. profetto macrumors regular

If it was just in Stand By which I assume it was, it shouldn't matter what settings you had on, dying overnight like that isn't right, give it a couple of full charge cycles and if it keeps up I would bring it to an Apple store.

4. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

Technically, if he has push on every 15 minutes, it will have an effect on his battery life.

If he sleeps for 8 hours then 32 times a night his phone must connect to his wifi or 3g network and determine if there are any emails. This doesn't even include any download time which will jack up his usage even more should there be any email to retrieve.

5. TribalToy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone, and yes it was in standby mode.

I'm waiting for a full charge and then will post my results over the next few days.

6. _Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

_Refurbished_

Were you using the wall charger? The computer charger might not have charged your battery. If it's the wall charger, that's weird. Try using a different electrical socket. If it does it again, bring it into the Apple store.

7. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

it's funny that nobody here seems to understand what push actually is. :)

8. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

9. TribalToy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it was a wall charger in my kitchen.

I recently turned push to manual, I'm waiting for the full charge as we speak and then I will post my results.

Also...just for the hell of it, I switched the phone charge to my plug upstairs...*just to see if it made sense.

Once again I'm not freaking out...just patiently waiting with my fingers crossed.:p

10. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

something might have been running in the background eating battery.

Two nights ago, I fell asleep while using my iPhone (fully charged). The next morning, I woke up with it next to me and checked the battery, and the meter surprisingly enough read as full still! WiFi and 3G were on and my Gmail was set to pull every 15 minutes.

11. profetto macrumors regular

It still doesn't matter, if you leave 3G, push and all those battery life suckers on and the phone is in standby, it should not completely die within 8 hours, regardless!

On a side note, it happened to me once on my first gen iPhone that my phone died quite quickly. Problem was that when it was in standby, it was still racking up usage, which means my usage was showing something like 18 hrs, which is near impossible (something must've been running in background that shouldn't have been). I imagine something like this happened to yours, did you check your usage settings the next morning after plugging it in?

12. Surely Guest

Surely

That's still not enough to drain the battery fully in an 8 hour period. My guess is that something was running in the background unbeknownst to the OP that caused the unusual battery drain. Or he has a defective battery.

You're advising this member to turn off some of the cool features of the iPhone. What's the point of having the iPhone then? It's kind of annoying to have to turn on individual services as needed.

I leave push @ 15 minutes, wifi, location, auto-brightness, and bluetooth on at all times, and I only need to charge my iPhone once every 2 days. And I'd say I'm a fairly heavy user- I write and check email all day, browse Safari, and use various Apps, including games, all day. It doesn't just sit in my pocket.

Agreed.

13. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

I'd say if he wants to truly find out if his battery is defective he should charge it fully, turn all services off but edge, put auto-brightness off and at halfway, and play video until he gets the 10% message. See if it lasts the 7-8 hours Apple quotes and if it doesn't hit those times, he might have a clunker.

I'm currently doing this myself because I'm only getting 3 hours usage and less than 1 day standby. Perhaps that's why his usage seems normal to me :p

14. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

Why on earth would you need to push every 15 min when you're asleep? just turn off automatic push when you're asleep and then just update when you wake up.

15. profetto macrumors regular

Thats about what I get with everything on, 3G, push... etc.

Roughly about 3-4 hours usage and maybe 20 hours worth of standby.

16. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Wait...what? Do you mean Fetch? If so, is push on or off?

17. TribalToy thread starter macrumors newbie

push was on

Fetch every 15 mins

The only reason why I had fetch on for every 15 mins was a business related. I have some HUGE clients that demand being able to contact me at wee hours of the night.:mad:

Status update: Fully charged Iphone leaving the settings alone...maybe it was just a faulty charge?

18. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Although it doesn't explain your problem, that combination is a recipe for extremely low battery life. To clarify, are these for separate accounts?

19. TribalToy thread starter macrumors newbie

20. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I have push activated on my iPhone and it SAVES battery life. It is fetch email that will use battery more than anything. I go 2 full days with push email enabled and get up to 10 hours usage easily.

Push email does not check email every 15 minutes. Emails are pushed to the phone as soon as it arrives on the server. Because of this, there is no need to check every 15 minutes. You guys need to understand the difference between push and fetch.

21. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Then why do you have both push and fetch activated? You only need one or the other. Given your clients, it sounds like you should leave push on and turn fetch off. That way, you'll get your e-mails instantaneously and use less battery.

22. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Your experience notwithstanding, I don't believe this is correct. From all that I've read, push uses more battery because your phone must continually keep a connection open with the server for push to work. The only exception is fetch every 15 minutes, which will use more battery than push, as you suggest.

23. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Push email was advertised along with Mobile Me as a way to save battery life since the phone doesn't have to contact the server on a set interval such as every 15 minutes.

24. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

People don't know how Push actually works. Push works by the server PUSHING data to the device and only opening up a connection WHEN needed. There is NO constant connection.

25. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Exactly. This is why I can go two full days on a charge with push email on and get 300 emails or more during that period. It saves battery life.