Freaked out!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HappieCat, Sep 15, 2011.

1. HappieCat macrumors newbie

Hey!
    So this is the problem, I have recently bought a Macbook Pro - it's reasonably new - and already the screen has frozen while using it! I can't afford this. I had left the computer on, for a little while, on it's own, and while coming back to it I realized that it was unresponsive to me. The screen was pitch black. I moved the mouse around, but there was no changed in the computer screen; it remained black. So, I attempted to restart the computer and while doing so the screen turned on, but the whole screen was made up of multi-coloured horizontal lines. It was also frozen. Please help! What did this mean?

Also, my Safari keeps on getting redirected. Why is that happening?

Ps. Do you have any advice on keep the longevity of your computer? Or in other words: do you know the best ways to take care of it?

Sincerely, Must Protect My Computer.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Was it a new machine when you bought it, or second-hand? If it's a few years old then it could have a GeForce 8600 video chip, which are prone to failure (you'll get a free replacement if that's the case).

If it has a removable battery then there will be a configuration label underneath the battery, which from memory lists the video chip. This label no longer seems to exist on the newer machines with the internal battery :(

3. HappieCat thread starter macrumors newbie

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

How about doing the logical thing and using the provided 1 year warranty? Sounds like you have a logic board issue.

5. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Best non intentional pun of September.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Care to explain, please? English is my second language, I think I didn't catch said pun.

7. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Probably a logic board issue.
    Go to apple and get it fixed for free.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

How about doing the logical thing ... you have a logic board issue.

:)

9. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

Not really a pun, just play on words! Well thinking about it suppose it is in a way

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

Ah, there we go! Hadn't spotted that.

11. wpotere Guest

Also, if you have Lion and the machine goes to sleep (from you leaving it up and running), you have to press a key to bring it back up. The mouse will not wake it. Just hit the space bar. ;)

12. realchimera macrumors regular

Bring it to Apple store. Mac is of poor quality, just like Dell. People buy it just b/c of it's good looking.

13. HappieCat, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

HappieCat thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea... except that I chose to buy a Mac for graphic design - not because it's pretty.

PS. Thanks everyone. Some of your (in general) responses were pretty cute... and (logical). I totally appreciate the help. :)

If I really did have a Lion; she must have shrunk in the wash.

14. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

By the way, pick up an apple care protection plan while you're at the apple store. You don't want to wind up regretting your decision (to not buy it) like I did when I bought my macbook. The price is a bit hard to swallow, but it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.