iPhone X freakin' hair on camera lens - iPhone X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by texasstar1981, Nov 3, 2017.

1. texasstar1981 macrumors regular

launch day fun... WTF. just got it 15min ago and immediately spotted a hair under (!) the camera lens cover. making appointment at apple store and hoping for brief swap against a "hair-free" device.
    $1k+ phone zero quality check? unnamed.jpg

2. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Not that it matters, you should get it replaced either way, but does it show up in pictures at all?

3. predation macrumors 65816

At least it’s not squiggly hair.

But seriously. That’s sucks.

You can probably take it back.

I have some dust in my iP7+ When I first got it but it doesn’t affect the photos. I just deal with it

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

There is no probably, it can be returned. It's just a matter of if Apple has any available replacement units in stock at the stores or Apple will have to ship the replacement.

5. jetlagged macrumors 6502

They normally give you a refurbished model if you exchange it

6. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

Refurbished from what? It may be in the white box, but this early it will be a new phone if he goes that route.

7. trekkie604 macrumors 68000

trekkie604

I wouldn't accept a white box. Return it and get a new one. Factory sealed, retail packaging, etc.

8. Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

I don't think at this point there are any refurbished phones, just new.

9. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

10. Dirtydutch macrumors 6502a

Dirtydutch

Lol refurbished really :rolleyes: the phone came out less than 24 hours ago it will come in a white box and be new, from their service unit stock

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The probability of you getting a refurbished unit is slim and totally none. My experience has been a few phones are held back to accommodate those with issues. I received an iPhone years ago with a crack, went to the store that day, and walked out with a new sealed unit. It was years ago, maybe things are different now, but that was my experience.

12. Kalvin00 macrumors regular

I would want a new one too, but that would not affect image quality to any noticeable degree.

13. Ohsoo99x macrumors newbie

Omg , my lens has hair/dust inside the lens too... so disappointing .

14. solo118 macrumors 65816

This!

Something similar happened with my 5S, I got a new box 2 days after launch after I complained a bit.

15. Ohsoo99x macrumors newbie

Ok, after calling Apple they told me to go to the Apple store to replace the dusted , the genius gave me a phone that can win a white box, is it a brand new phone or a refurbished one??... my phone just delivered me this morning so it’s like in all brand new condition who no plastic taken off yet, except for the dust inside the camera lens

16. Dirtydutch macrumors 6502a

Dirtydutch

100% new no chance it’s a refurb yet. Just part of their replacement stock

17. AppleZombie macrumors 6502a

Youll get a refurbished model, basically one of the testers that has been going around to the press.

18. Shadowbech macrumors 601

At this point, all replacement units are brand new.

19. Ohsoo99x macrumors newbie

So it’s brand new? They just gave me the phone that was open in the slim white box

20. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

If having a box with a serial number that matches your phone is important to you, I'd get a refund and repurchase.

21. Ohsoo99x macrumors newbie

I’m buying it as a gift to my mother so I️ just want to make sure it’s good :)

22. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

You might actually come out ahead in all this.

I got a defective Macbook a few years back. I came back to have it fixed, but they just exchanged it for a new one sealed in the box and everything AND let me keep the charger from the first, so I ended up with two chargers.

23. Ohsoo99x macrumors newbie

Nah I️ just got a phone replacement from the white box at the Genius Bar. They said it was manufacture defect for the dust

24. california_kid macrumors regular

Dang, nice photo. Stainless steel edge looks raw and sharp too. Not that it matters, but I think the "hair" is more likely a piece of plastic or metal shaving from an internal part.

25. puma1552 Suspended

Not sure why everyone is always so sure there's zero chance of a device replaced on launch day being refurbished. They've been building - and rejecting - these phones for months by the time launch day rolls around.

I would almost guarantee you they have already refurbished a bunch of the early rejections before launch day ever hits.