Freaking battery on new ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by epi117, Mar 17, 2012.

1. epi117 macrumors 6502

Been using it hard since friday and still at 19%.

just old habit, like to drain before first charge.

Loving my ipad.

2. rrjr80 macrumors member

rrjr80

3. LocoStrange macrumors member

Yea. Been using it for most of the day. Mainly for documents with minor videos and games since 4am. Just plugged it in when it was pushing 50 percent since I wanted to watch a movie tonight in bed

4. CH34P3T macrumors regular

Charging that bad boy is gonna take forever though. :(

5. feleciadenise macrumors newbie

Yea my battery is excellent...I've been recording videos, using the internet, watching movies, AND playing games and I'm at 54 percent. It came with 98 percent...

6. epi117 thread starter macrumors 6502

7. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Anyone heard how long it take to charge it fully?

8. lovespicyfood macrumors member

My iPad 3 battery seems to be lasting longer than my iPad 2 battery. I don't know if my iPad 2 battery was getting old but this is great.

9. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Seems to be a huge difference in people's charge times. Mine was pretty slow on the USB port of my iMac so I will use the wall plug on my next charge.

10. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

The iPad vs the iPhone when it comes to using up battery life and charging is a big difference. The iPhone charges noticeably faster than the iPad but the iPad last longer than the iPhone when using it. I guess even though the iPad has a bigger screen which equals to faster battery drain apple didn't want that so they put a huge battery for the iPad since they have plenty of room.

11. UrsaMajor macrumors regular

Not with 4g running. I have it plugged in, writing this with pandora on headphones and the charge is slow... Like 15 mins a 1%

12. PrincessMelody macrumors member

Mine went from fully discharged (0%) to 100% plugged into the wall with the charger that came with it in 6 1/2 hours.

13. Ryo4ever macrumors newbie

USB charging on iPad 3

II tried putting the iPad 3 in airplane mode to charge via USB on my MacBook pro. It takes forever to charge. If I'm using the iPad usb tethered the battery still goes down! Was it like this on iPad 2? I never had one before and am used to iPhone charging time...

14. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

Use the adapter that comes with the ipad, it puts out 2.1 amps instead of the paltry 0.5 amps from the macbook usb. That's why its taking forever to charge. Even with the wall adapter it can take 5-6 hours to charge.

15. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Very bad habit for Lithium Ion.

16. TSloper macrumors member

Going to 0% and recharging isn't going to have any negative impact on the battery at all. Going to 0% and letting it sit for months in that state will.

17. OSMac macrumors 65816

I charged to 100% out of the box.

Been using it regularly for a day and half.
    Unbelievable I still have 48% left!

This battery seems to last much much longer than the iPad 2 I had.

18. preyan macrumors 6502

preyan

Yikes! That's quite long!!! Significantly longer than iPad 2!

19. Cloysterpeteuk macrumors member

Dont post in a battery thread if you don't know what your talking about. Apple state that it's a good idea to fully drain your battery nice a month to keep it calibrated properly, if draining your battery was a bad idea then why would they recommend you do so?

20. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

It does NOT take forever to recharge it. Mine went from 60% back to 100% in about 2.5 hours. That is longer than the iPad 2 but there is a penalty to pay for a larger battery. :p

21. epi117 thread starter macrumors 6502

22. Elise macrumors 6502

Thanks, I'll just charge mine every evening before bed, I doubt it's going to be that much of an issue for me.

23. Kainz macrumors member

I've been charging mine from 0% since this morning. With 2hrs 20mins elapsed the iPad is at 44% off a mains charger.

24. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

obviously using the iPad while you are charging it is going to drastically increase charge time....

Use a wall socket instead of the USB in your computer. USB doesn't put out very many amps (~0.5amps at 5VDC) The newer intel models are capable of recognizing that you have an iPad and (if it has the juice to spare) will become a high powered port at 1.1 amps (the same as your iPhone charger).

However, you can charge any iDevice on any charger or USB port because they are all "smart" and your iPad charger will know if it has an iPhone on it and will only put out 1.1 amps so it doesn't fry your phone.

25. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

This is my first iPad and I am loving it. It seems to drain 1% every 6-7 minutes with simple web browsing, Facebook, and twitter with brightness at about 40%. Is that normal? Just trying to gauge what is a good rate of drain since the iPad doesn't have usage/standby times like the iPhone does.