Freaking OUT! My rMBP is no longer working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rawmx, Aug 4, 2012.

1. rawmx macrumors newbie

So today I opened up my baby and everything was just fine. Minutes later I tried to close a web page and couldn't move the mouse. I pressed the power button and tried using the arrow keys to move to restart, nothing. I tried the enter key & nothing so I held down the power button and powered it off and on couldn't log in. So at this point I just closed it and grabbed my iPad.

I made an appointment at the Genius Bar it's coming up soon so I will update everyone after.

P.S

It sits on a desk majority of the time so no drops, spills and my kid is never around that room so this is just out of the ordinary.

2. defektion macrumors regular

Does it power up after you had turned it off?

3. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Appears as though you gave up extremely quickly... How about try a few more restarts, PRAM resets, etcetera. It's unlikely there's a major problem.

4. rawmx, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

rawmx thread starter macrumors newbie

I spent about 10 minutes with apple care tried SMC PRAM reset but didn't work. The giving up part didn't happen so quickly. I'm at the apple store now and their keyboard/mouse works. Genius just took it to the back.

Update*
    She's never seen this and asked her peers and they just seem stunned. Only 8 days passed 14 days so I asked to see if I could get a brand new one. It would be a 5 day wait for repair and such.

Update 2*

Getting a brand new one in store. I'm happy I got a new one but dumbfounded this even happened.

5. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

Don't ask, just do. You are entitled to a refund. Why wait 5 days when you can wait 10 min.. unless you have a BTO version.

6. Classiclays macrumors member

I haven't received my rMBP yet but I want to be prepared in the future. For the SMC reset, do I follow the instructions of

Resetting the SMC on Mac portables with a battery you can remove

or

Resetting the SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own

I believe it should be the second one?

7. rawmx thread starter macrumors newbie

This one

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Resetting the PRAM multiple times is not going to do anything. There are certain things that can act quirky on a new computer such as spotlight indexing. If you install a bunch of software that isn't tested with the current OS, I could see problems there if any part is selected to load at startup. Just doing the same thing over and over isn't going to resolve anything.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

That lists the contents of pram. Restarting flushes out ram and does a few other things. The genius bar may be of some help if it's a minor software glitch.