• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
52,948
14,689
Apple announced that Fred Anderson, Apple's executive vice president and Chief Financial Officer (CFO), will be retiring on June 1 2004.

Peter Oppenheimer, Apple’s senior vice president of Finance and corporate controller will succeed Mr. Anderson as CFO.

At that time, Fred Anderson will then be appointed to Apple's Board of Directors.
 

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
802
0
Is this bad news? Good news? What do shareholders think?

EDIT: Beat me to it.;)
 
Comment

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
529
23
He Will Be Missed

Fred totally saved Apple from doom.

- He raised money when they need it most
- He hoarded cash before the downturn
- He managed to keep investments in the black while the market was spiraling


Fred is an Amazing CFO and he'll hopefully stay very involved as a board member.
 
Comment

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
1,654
0
Denver, CO
Happy Retirement Mr. Anderson . . .
and congratulations to Mr. Oppenheimer.

Jobs remain CEO. . . forever!!! that will be the new apple product. . . a life support system . . . iLife . . . wait that name is already used
 
Comment

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
1,216
0
NYC
Thanks for the memories Fred. You kept a pulse in Apple through some tough times and we welcome you to the board. And all those teleconferences you did without wearing any pants... hysterical!
 
Comment

jorel

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2004
6
0
Sounds like good news. Seems that maybe he feels comfortable enough with the current financial status of Apple that he can catch up on his fishing.
 
Comment

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
1,141
3
Massachusetts
Originally posted by jorel
Sounds like good news. Seems that maybe he feels comfortable enough with the current financial status of Apple that he can catch up on his fishing.

yeah, that's a positive way to look at it :)
 
Comment

Silencio

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2002
2,594
451
NYC
I always said that, besides Steve Jobs, Fred Anderson was the most irreplacable executive at Apple. He has done an incredible job helping to bring the company back from the brink of death and steadily building up healthy financials through all the ups and downs of the greater tech marketplace. That Apple has billions in the bank and wiped out all of its debts speaks volumes of his accomplishments.

Still, I think Peter Oppenheimer is the right man to take over. He's been at Apple for a while and worked very closely with Fred, slowly taking over more and more of the financial operations and showing similarly good results.

It's also good news that Fred will be on the Board of Directors, so he will still be around to offer his financial wisdom.

Congratulations to Fred on a long, successful run at Apple. Enjoy your retirement.
 
Comment

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,568
0
Congratulations on your retirement Mr. Anderson. At least his knowledge will still be available on the Board Of Directors. Hopefully he has done a good job grooming Mr. Oppenheimer for the job of CFO. That he will be able to enter the job running.
 
Comment

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
562
6
St. Louis, USA
Originally posted by virividox
MR. ANDERSON...

hehe sorry matrix speaking

hope he has a good retirment and i hope his replacement can build on his successes

My thoughts exactly (especially the Matrix reference)
 
Comment

iPC

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2003
384
0
East Windsor, CT
Another way to look at it is this; it's a powerplay by Jobs to get another ardent supporter of his on the board with him. Rumors are swirling as Apple's market position is not much different from 2 years ago, even with the influx of cool new technology. (similar to the situation over at Disney - Eisner is walking a fine line also. http://www.savedisney.com )
 
Comment

mullmann

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
42
0
Originally posted by iPC
Another way to look at it is this; it's a powerplay by Jobs to get another ardent supporter of his on the board with him. Rumors are swirling as Apple's market position is not much different from 2 years ago, even with the influx of cool new technology. (similar to the situation over at Disney - Eisner is walking a fine line also. http://www.savedisney.com )

Apple's board is a real weak spot, filled with Jobs fans and people generally ignorant of the businesses that Apple is in (are you listening, Al Gore?). I don't know how Anderson rates in the former category, but at least he doesn't fit into the latter. That's good news.
 
Comment

sfoalex

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2001
412
54
You'll notice if you listen to the quarterly financial results that Peter is always there. He has been groomed for years for this. He is refereed to by Anderson for many of the answers during these meetings. It is a great lose, but I think this is also one of the best executed transitions and remember, Fred will be on the board of directors.
 
Comment

anodized

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2003
35
0
Well, we know now that when Mr Anderson retires on June 6 the G6 will come out, and Apple will make the biggest breakthrough in History --

Oh he's going to the board...
nevermind :cool:
 
Comment

tex210

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2003
292
76
yes but...

Glad this isn't a Haliburton type thing, but this isn't as exciting to me as the ichat 2.x beta that is video compatible with Aim!!! Arn?
 
Comment

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
1,580
0
Sacramento, CA, USA
Originally posted by anodized
Well, we know now that when Mr Anderson retires on June 6 the G6 will come out, and Apple will make the biggest breakthrough in History --

Oh he's going to the board...
nevermind :cool:

He's retiring on June 1st.

And I think Fred will be a proponent of the new G6.
 
Comment

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
7,002
11
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Photorun
Thanks for the memories Fred. You kept a pulse in Apple through some tough times and we welcome you to the board. And all those teleconferences you did without wearing any pants... hysterical!
Teleconferences without pants?

Whhaaa?

Link me to that!:eek:


Good luck on that Fishin' Mr. Anderson...
 
Comment

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2003
809
0
PRK
Originally posted by wPod
Happy Retirement Mr. Anderson . . .
and congratulations to Mr. Oppenheimer.

Jobs remain CEO. . . forever!!! that will be the new apple product. . . a life support system . . . iLife . . . wait that name is already used

iClone... not to be confused with imClone ;)
 
Comment

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2003
809
0
PRK
Re: Fred Anderson to Retire as Apple CFO

Originally posted by Macrumors Apple announced that Fred Anderson, Apple's executive vice president and Chief Financial Officer (CFO), will be retiring on June 1 2004.


NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.