Freddie Mercury

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by firestarter, Sep 5, 2011.

1. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

If he had lived, Freddie Mercury would have been 65 years old today.

Any Freddie and Queen fans here?

I was always a great fan when I was a teenager. I saw their last live tour in 1986, then six years later I went to the Freddie Mercury Tribute concert in '92.

A fantastic rock singer with an amazing vocal range, showmanship and charisma. Check out the Google homepage today for a fun tribute to him.

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, guilty as charged.

Did no one notice the Google banner yesterday, in tribute to Freddie??

Attached Files:

3. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

You can say I'm a fan, I have the complete Queen collection on CD, and some of the early stuff on vinyl. Freddie had an amazing voice, played great piano, and had unbelievable stage presence. Brian May is one of my all time favorite guitar players. And John "Deaky" Deacon, is one of the most underrated bass players ever. (I love his playing!) Can't forget Roger, he's an excellent drummer. I'd like to go back in time and see them live!

4. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I adore Freddie. His vocals still bring shivers to my spine and every song I hear him perform (either a live recording or studio track) never cease to amaze me. He is on the top of my list on musicians (alive or dead) that I would love to see live.

5. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    He was very talented, no doubt. I wouldn't call myself a fan, exactly, but I totally respect what he and Brian May brought to the table. I think maybe I'm just a lil' young to appreciate it fully. I just can't get around some of the "cheese"-factor. Of course, that seems "par for the course" when I examine the musical landscape of that era. ;)

R.I.P. Freddy

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I cannot listen to the end bit of "Don't Stop Me Now" without getting a little choked up.

7. joec1101 macrumors 6502

Yes, Freddie Mercury fan here.

I don't think there's ever been another voice like his - the range and strength he sang with was just incredible! :D

R.I.P. Freddie....

8. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

And another 'fan' Freddie had a charisma that had could be compared to charismata. Rock on Freddie.
    KGB:cool:

9. Luckybobby macrumors regular

Really did you ever hear of MIKA? Btw I love Freddie too.

10. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Got all the albums that I know of. Queen is the best band in the history of human civilization. Period.

11. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

Have you listened to the stuff from the 70's? Specifically the first two albums, Queen and Queen II? There was a bit more cheese around the albums like Hot Space, which upset a lot of fans when they came out due to the departure from the more usual Queen sound.

12. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Another Freddie/Queen fan here. :D

Me too. Sadly, I haven't seen Queen live. :( Freddie's awesome though. Sensational voice that you really can't get enough of.

13. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Another Queen fan here. Saw them live at Madison Square Garden in the late 80s. One of the best live shows I've ever seen and I've pretty much seen them all. Their performance at Live-Aid was amazing.

15. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

Queen were one of the few bands who rehearsed the hell out of it to get as many songs as possible into a 20 minute slot. Other bands were good, Queen tend to be the one that's remembered.

16. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Always have been a fan, always will be. I will keep my A Night at The Opera original vinyl record until the day I pass on. :)

17. firestarter thread starter macrumors 603

firestarter

Some of their earlier stuff is amazing. For a non-cheezy amazing example of Freddie's charisma, their Rock in Rio concert (in front of over 300,000) takes some beating:

I'm not sure that I've seen any life concert footage as moving as this.

18. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

The stage presence. The voice.

R.I.P. Freddie.

19. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

the black guy looks like a black michael jackson. :cool:

20. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

The Freddie Mercury Google doodle is up today, at least in the US. It's pretty cool.

21. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

22. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

23. And macrumors 6502

And

Combining this with the other thread in 'community discussion'... how about Muse vs Queen :) It would have to be Queen any day, I doubt Muse would disagree given 'The Resistance' sounds like a Queen album in places! No one has produced music quite like Queen, they were so consistently good, even the duff albums had a couple of amazing tracks and the good ones had every track as a gem. PLUS, who has produced soundtrack albums like they did, Flash Gordon was, and is still, a masterpiece. I doubt they will ever be bettered. So, I'm a fan, sue me.

24. bradl, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

To be honest, I didn't get Queen...

.. until 1980, when I kept hearing "Another One Bites the Dust" and "Crazy Little Thing Called Love", and hearing older kids stomping their feet on the bleachers at high school basketball games. But then again, I was only 6 years old at the time, so music was the farthest thing from my mind!

Then in 1989-1990, I heard the deepest introspective song I had ever heard from them, which still gets me to this day: "These Are the Days of Our Lives". Makes me yearn for living through my childhood years again, how much I miss, and how much of it I want back. It makes you think back through your life, almost homesick for your childhood.

Yes, Bohemian Rhapsody got re-released around that same time, and yes, it became the biggest overplayed drivel next to Bryan Adam's Robin Hood song, but it was a great piece too. It took hearing Lynch Mob's cover of "Tie Your Mother Down" shortly after Freddie died that I got back into them..

But "These Are the Days of Our Lives" is the one I choke up on.. Almost like it is his farewell gift to everyone. Off to have a listen to it.

R.I.P., Farrokh. You deserve it.

BL.