Free 1.6-->1.8GHz Upgrade (How To)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by wordy, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wordy macrumors regular

wordy

If you don't want to lie a little to your local Apple store, don't bother reading this, for the other 1.6GHz users, read on.

How I did it:

1. Booked an appointment with a Genius at local Apple store.
    2. Prior to appointment, removed CoolBook completely
    3. 15 mins prior to appointment sat outside Apple store watching ~55 minute YouTube video and loaded up all the CPU taxing programs I've got.
    4. Using Activity Monitor "CPU History" window, demonstrated core shutdown to genius.
    5. Lied. Told genius I'd spoken to previous Apple tech who told me the problem only existed in the 1.6 model (this is untrue btw).
    6. Genius booked me for a Main Logic Board replacement. Apparently they are out of, or no longer carry 1.6 replacement boards, so I "had" to get a 1.8GHz instead (remember, CPU is soldered to logic board).
    7. Took 6 days for the board to come in. Dropped off Air, and the swap was completed in under 4 hours.

Notes/Observations:
    - No significant increase in performance for everyday tasks. Does encode video (XviD recodes) a few FPS faster.
    - My serial number no longer appears in System Profiler (see screenshot arrow)
    - CoolBook settings are different. Old chip was able to handle 1.6Ghz @ 0.9V, but now needs 0.95V @ 1600MHz (and 0.965V@1800MHz).
    - Thermal paste application on new chip was DRASTICALLY better than old one - I still re-did it with AS5 though :D

If you're able to get a free upgrade too, I'd like to hear about it.

Attached Files:

• SS.jpg
      SS.jpg
      File size:
      46.6 KB
      Views:
    • order.gif
      order.gif
      File size:
      111.6 KB
      Views:
  2. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

Bad karma will catch up to you eventually. Don't you watch "earl"?

3. dudup macrumors regular

dudup

All that because of 0.2 ghz on a 1800 USD machine? :confused:

4. ben.mcmahan macrumors member

It's already on the way - successful criminals dont brag.
    dumb ones do. they also document their crimes b/c they just have to tell...

nice job dude - better hope you paid with cash and didnt use your real name, as you've effectively logged your crime, your location (uhh, one of the 3 toronto stores?), and enough details regarding both your actions and your intent (i.e. explicit admitting your lie with the intent to defraud)...hope it was worth it....

5. ben.mcmahan macrumors member

there. quoted it for you. it wont take long.

6. AstroHouse macrumors member

Okay. I read your post. Can't agree with your methodology. What was gained? A new and improved sig line?

I wonder what response you'll get the next contact you have with Apple.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The Rock Burglar in Paradise Valley AZ operated for 12+ years ...

Doubt he/they brag about their work, yet have probably raked in nearly million/year in loot by now.

8. ben.mcmahan macrumors member

my point exactly.

mr/s. sneaky swap up there couldnt stop at being clever, had to tell someone. classic mistake.

sounds like the rock burglar laid low the whole time.
    (are you in PHX? I usually live i TUS)

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Not in Phx area right now. Down south for a bit.

10. poisonapple macrumors member

Yeah, I agree. Pretty low rent. He could have likely talked them into a logic board swap because of the core shutdown without lying, just like another poster here did. If they truly are out of 1.6Ghz boards, he'd have gotten the 1.8Ghz processor fair and square. Pretty lame move there.

11. wordy thread starter macrumors regular

wordy

But he didn't... because he's a sucker just like the other posters here.

PM me if you'd like my info to submit to Apple, I will gladly provide it just so I can laugh at you after.

12. gregdrummeraz macrumors 6502

I am in phoenix! :p 43rd ave and bethany home rd.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Too much info, want to trade a rock for the stuff in your signature. :p

14. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

just wondering: what would you have done if they did have 1.6 boards in stock?

15. poisonapple macrumors member

Lighten up Francis. Like the saying goes "arguing on the Internet, is like running in the Special Olympics..." Feel free to cheat your way through life. I don't personally feel compelled to stop you, but I do think it's pathetic.

16. LinMac macrumors 65816

A very appropriate link: http://xkcd.com/386/

I fail to see how this is criminal though. The Genius looked up the supply of 1.6GHz main boards and used a 1.8GHz instead as they were out. How exactly is this criminal...?

"If You're Not Cheating, You're Not Trying"

- Some Person Somewhere

17. ben.mcmahan macrumors member

Probably not criminal - i was messing with him to make him nervous, and he called BS on me.

the point was more that smart cheaters/crooks/whatever simply "enjoy their ill gotten gains", dumb ones advertise what they have done, leave a paper trail, return to the scene of the crime, etc., opening themselves up to getting caught...they are compelled to tell what they have done...for whatever reason.

this post was apparently a fishing trip (and unfortunately, due to my 'nub' status, I took the bait - my apologies - i have singlehandedly lowered the quality of the internets)

18. shrtmkr macrumors regular

Why are you sad ? If you don't like what he did, you won't do the same. Or if you are too obsessed with it you can call the iCops on him :)

Anyways

I'm happy that you got a free upgrade from an "international corporation" that makes billions of dollars every year and yet still manufacture their products at places where the minimum wage is nearly 40 cents per hour. Just a single officer from their executive board's yearly income is equal to the whole Chinese factory workers yearly income.

Don't get me wrong I absolutely like Apple products, but I think their QC got pretty bad in the past years, i.e out of 5 products that I purchased from them in the past 6 months, out of 3 imacs(screen bleeding 24inches) and 2 macbook airs. 3 of them failed on me(macbook air's needed a replacement 2 times, each) and I needed to take them back to the store to change them.(I don't bother the macairs but imac replacement is a pain in the *ss.)

Maybe If they stop treating us like beta testers that pay almost $2k for a product & test their rev A. products well he surely didn't needed to replace the mac at first place.

I miss the US made Apple products.
    Greed is a weapon of mass destruction:apple:

19. poisonapple macrumors member

iCops, that's funny.

20. ben.mcmahan macrumors member

21. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Apple was stupid and they screwed themselves.

There are plenty of posts with repeated trips to so called geniuses and all they say is "your machine is fine, within specs."

Genius should have offered another 1.6, exchange for a MB or refunded money and resold it in refurb store.

Not great karma but not exactly bad either. I'd hope they'd have been smarter and believe me, the OP got lucky.

22. wordy thread starter macrumors regular

wordy

I would have gotten my week 1 board replaced with a newer, probably better one.

Meh, whatever, I didn't mean to cause such a storm. I just wanted to help people get what I got. Getting called names by a bunch of pansy Apple yuppies definitely made it worth it though.

I'm glad I'm able to keep retail prices higher for all you suckers who are too afraid or dumb to take advantage when an opportunity presents itself.

23. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

an opportunity didn't present itself, you created it. but then again it doesn't really matter what you did or what you think you got.

24. abc861 macrumors newbie

Thanks for sharing your experience.

But...

Under the Common law system, which applies to the UK, Canada, Australia, etc, you have committed fraudulent misrepresentation, that you knowingly used a false statement of fact(evidence is shown in the macrumor forum) to induce the apple genius guy, who genuinely relied on your statement, into contract to replacing your 1.6 motherboard with a 1.8 one (Derry v Peek). Alternatively, statutory claim i.e. Misrepresentation Act 1967 s 2(1) can be relied on by Apple to make a claim as well. It is a breach of tort law and remedy including litigation cost can be sought by Apple Inc. I recommend you get a lawyer soon.

25. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

meh

enjoy.

apple wont care. they already made a hefty profit margin out of you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.