Free 1-yr .mac family pack with MBP order?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gd0014, Jun 11, 2008.

1. gd0014 macrumors newbie

I finally placed my order for a new MBP, with the free ipod and printer promo (yeah!).

But the interesting thing is that when I received my order confirmation, it said '1-year family pack' at the bottom (see attachment). I never added this, and there was no cost associated with it, but it appeared on my order nonetheless. I know there is a discount on the .mac/mobile me membership with an educational store purchase, but in my case it is totally free...

Anyone else notice this on their order?

Attached Files:

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No it's not; so it is a student discount priced at $1799; the 250GB drive is $45 more making it $1844; the family pack is $100 more making it $1944... sorry looks like you paid for it.

3. gd0014 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm in Canada - so the student discount makes it $1899 (not $1799), and the hard drive upgrade makes it $1944...

So its definitely free. The question is, has anyone else seen this? Maybe its a promo that will come out when mobileMe is released and its been let out prematurely?

4. wesrk macrumors 6502a

I thought it was the 1,799 plus tax (8.1% in Arizona), which makes it 1944, but at the bottom it says that the total does not include tax, plus the tax would make it a few cents over 1944 and not 1944 exactly... so yeah, you paid for it probably.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I just called Apple to ask; they said if its Mobile Me it will say Mobile Me; this is just the 1-year warranty.

6. gd0014 thread starter macrumors newbie

See my previous post (I didn't pay extra).

7. gd0014 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for calling! :)

But it says 'family pack' so I don't see how that = 'warranty'. I have heard Apple customer service is pretty generous when they make an error, so wouldn't be surprised if they just threw it in.

(Besides, it's good to get me hooked on the service so I will renew year after year, right?)

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I was curious myself. ;)

They told me it's a typo because it will show up separately if it were Mobile Me as shown here in the US store:
    [​IMG]

9. gd0014 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah... once I get my order, I'll give them a call and see what they say. A few months ago people on these forums were getting free remotes (the ones they don't include with your MBP anymore) after calling customer care just because an obscure page on the apple website said 'front row + remote with every mac'.

So i'm hopeful.... I wouldn't mind giving mobile Me a shot. ;)